Rhode Island Red in mixed flock?

I was still getting the occasional egg from them even at 10. They still layed reasonably well at even 4 or 5. Not much different than other hatchery birds. I even had 2 go broody.

I might be able to get over the fact that they're not heritage but do they have a shorter life span?
My sex links have had a somewhat shorter life span on average than breeds like my Australorps and Orpingtons, but not as short as some posters would lead you to believe. Also, I've sometimes gotten 3-4 years of good laying from them. Some of my other breeds have laid for a longer period of time, but the sex links more than make up for the difference with their incredible lay rate. I typically rotate all my hens every 2-3 years anyway (although there have been some exceptions) just to keep my flock at peak laying rate. If you are determined to go with a standard breed, of the breeds carried by chickensforbackyard.com, I would personally go with the Speckled Sussex rather than the RIR or NH. Speckled Sussex are just as cold hardy, have the same friendly, gentle temperament as the Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons (my children made lap pets of them), and their lay rate is about the same as that of the Orpingtons and Plymouth Rocks (not quite as good as the Australorps, but then only sex links will match or surpass Australorps when it comes to brown egg layers).

Well if I handle them enough, would I still be able to get a New Hampshire Red?

You should be able to tame them so that they are friendly with you. There is a good article on how to do it at http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-run-away-whenever-they-see-me-Can-I-H57.aspx. Of course how the relate to you has no relationship to how they relate to other chickens in the flock.
hm I think I'm just gonna get either a wellie or a Wyandotte. And I'm probably going to replace the white rock with a Delaware. They seem to be friendlier and their coloration is beutiful!

hm I think I'm just gonna get either a wellie or a Wyandotte. And I'm probably going to replace the white rock with a Delaware. They seem to be friendlier and their coloration is beutiful!

I've had all of those breeds at one time or another over the years, and they're all good breeds. I think you'll be happy with them. I love the chocolate eggs of the Welsummers. In my personal opinion, they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world.

Hi I have a mixed flock too. Two buffs two Rhode Island red two white leg horn and four bard rock 6 are a week and a half and two are a week old. When I put the c younger ones in there was no problems with fighting. I want to get two more Rhode Island reds tomorroWe. Will I have a problem adding the day Olds in the flock? Are the chicks young enough not to pick on them?

Back
Top Bottom