Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
I just picked up 6 one day old Rhode Island Reds two days ago and we are having a blast with them. My 8 year old has been pestering me for some time to get them so we went to the local feed store and picked them up. We wanted egg producers and something that was hardy so we went with them. Maybe someday down the road we'll branch out but for now we are very happy with the RIR's.

I'm searching now to try to find out all the information I can about them...

These are my three RIRs: Acorn, Cinnamon, and Cocoa. They are about 3 and a half years old and will jump on my lap and let me pet them and pick them up. They are wonderful hens!

RIR are awesome! I have the bantam sized ones.

My best advice for raising chickens is come to BackYardChickens and do a search on a topic you need help with. You'll find plenty of existing posts on stuff.

Best treat: sunflower kernels from Tractor Supply (large bag for $8). Toss a handful every morning and your chickies will follow you forever!

Make sure they have water at all times, preferably fresh every morning. I keep out a Layer feed (I prefer Purina Layena crumbles) at all times. Your eggshells will thank you. I've tried other brands and end up with soft shells from 1/3 of my girls. You could use other brands but you'll need to add oyster shells or calcium to their feed.

Any other topics, just come to BYC and post if you can't find anything in a search of the site.

Carla

Mablelean seems to be 100% better. She hasn't fallen over in three days now! ;))
Thanks Alaskan for your support. I appreciate it. I appreciate the entire website as I was able to get very valuable and helpful information to help.

Back
Top Bottom