Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
They are flock birds and you pen one solo you'll usually end up with a bird that dies.

One option is both roosters together,the other option is putting a couple of hens with the other rooster in the other pen. either way works.

if you choose to get more birds remember they have to be kept quarentined for minimum of 2 weeks best a month, to make sure you aren't going to be bringing in something bad that wipes out your flock

I have a crazy mixed flock, and have had to rehome a couple of suprise roosters because at the time I didn't have a way to build a separate coop for them. so need to get more hens anyway. We have since found another RIR rooster so ended up with 3 roosters and one hen, and the Americana turned out to be a rooster too, mind you these were all supposed to be pullets other than the RIR's but they are still small one was just really late showing it lol.

so far free ranging them we haven't had any problems but the older Roosters a barred rock and Americana are starting to get testy so we are going to rehome one of the RIR's again and get more hens

Last edited:
My new roo just ripped a quarter size chunk of skin out of my hens neck! I have them separated now. Besides neosporen what should I put on her neck, if anything?

KARL69: "My new roo just ripped a quarter size chunk of skin out of my hens neck! I have them separated now. Besides neosporen what should I put on her neck, if anything?"

Hi KARL69. I was just about to post pics of my two RIRs when I saw no one had responded to your post. I am fairly new at chicken tending but the feed store sold me a bottle of "Vetericyn" Wound and Skin Care to keep in case of injuries to the chickens. You might try that.

I have a flock of 8 birds total. 2 RIRs, 2 BR, 1 SLW, 1 BO, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Welsummer.

Here's a pic of them when they were about 2 weeks old.

Here's Lucille Ball(on my shoulder), and Ethel Mertz. Trying to hold them as much as possible so they don't run away from me.

In the past week I started to worry that Lucille might in fact be Desi Arnaz....His hackle feathers are shiny, and look a little pointed to me. His comb, and wattles are starting to turn red. Then there are some long saddle feathers forming at the base of his tale,,,,

That's her sister, Wilma Flinstone behind her.

Hackle feathers.

Tailfeathers.

All the girls. Any opinions on Lucille's gender change? All thoughts welcome.

Is this a roo or a hen I am guessing a roo but I want to make 100% sure

The two roos I got a couple weeks ago are about 5 months old, I'm not sure the one has ever seen a roost, he always lays on the ground he has no feathers on his chest.
Is there anything I can do besides give him a roost?

Back
Top Bottom