Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
We have had ours now for almost three weeks. They were two days old when we got them. They started out the same way Craftdr describes when we fed them mealworms. They are now eating them more than playing with them. Very comical at first. Chicken football is the term we heard when used to describe their antics. Before we gave them worms, they would do the same thing with small sticks. Here is a picture of ours at 3-4 days old. They are not even three weeks yet and they are getting their wing and tail feathers. All of them are showing signs of the crest too. I sure wished I could tell their sex though. I've heard so many different stories, that I don't know what to believe now.

Being new to chickens, I just learned the phrase "Production". Not sure exactly what that means though. I'm assuming it's a pure bred. Mine were/are red and white. At three weeks old, they are losing most of the white and turning a darker read. Can't wait for them to get a little older so they start making chicken sounds instead of just peeping...

The term "pure bred" is a misnomer of sorts, when it comes to chickens. Chickens are better described as bred to the Standard or true bred. Breeds aren't species, they're composites of many bird types, put together a century ago and a Standard was then written and accepted.

Birds truly standard bred just about must come from a breeder, someone passionately dedicated to the preservation and presentation of the breed. Hatcheries are businesses and must virtually mass produce birds. The birds are healthy, cheap, widely available either through mail order or through secondary feed store re-sellers. These birds are bred to be healthy and productive, often very productive.

Bred to the standard? No. That's just not in the business model. It's quite understandable.

Being new to chickens, I just learned the phrase "Production". Not sure exactly what that means though. I'm assuming it's a pure bred. Mine were/are red and white. At three weeks old, they are losing most of the white and turning a darker read. Can't wait for them to get a little older so they start making chicken sounds instead of just peeping...
Production, used as a term in the chicken world, is any breed of chicken used for what it gives, such as meat or eggs. The breed is called "production red" because they are red and produce eggs. I've never heard of any meat birds being called production, though. Think its just with egg layers.

Back
Top Bottom