Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
:frow Hi RIRers! I'm joining this thread because I'm expecting 2 fertile eggs from Meyer in a few days. I'm PRAYING they arrive in good condition, and that I am able to hatch them. I've never attempted a hatch before...

Eek, and all that....find a good hatch thread to join.. Incubating shipped eggs is an art form.

When they show up, they need to settle for 12 to 24 hours, and then gently warm them up to incubator temps, and then VERY gently turn them for the first few days.

Also, they need to be incubated upright, tiny end down, large end up..

Eek, and all that....find a good hatch thread to join.. Incubating shipped eggs is an art form.

When they show up, they need to settle for 12 to 24 hours, and then gently warm them up to incubator temps, and then VERY gently turn them for the first few days.

Thank you for the pointers! I have joined a hatchalong here on BYC & have a pretty sick (
ya.gif
) homemade incubator inspired by the home made ones on BYC. I know there is only a 50% hatch rate typically on shipped eggs, and with me being brand new at this I'm trying to not get my hopes up...but, well, that's kind of hard to accomplish! I just got the email that they shipped this morning & should get her tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you for the pointers! I have joined a hatchalong here on BYC & have a pretty sick :)ya ) homemade incubator inspired by the home made ones on BYC. I know there is only a 50% hatch rate typically on shipped eggs, and with me being brand new at this I'm trying to not get my hopes up...but, well, that's kind of hard to accomplish! I just got the email that they shipped this morning & should get her tomorrow or Monday.

Sounds good, good luck!

I hope that they arrive safely!
Well, they finally arrived today. I have them resting with the big end up. I'm pretty sure the RIRs are the biggest in the group, but they weren't marked. I don't know if anything is going to hatch. The post office delayed delivery & many of the eggs look porous when I candled them on arrival. Nothing stinks, though, & nothing broken.

Rhode Island reds are my favorite chicken for production and free ranging!!!:) They are super friendly if you raise them from chicks and handle them a lot. They also eat a lot of food that they forage for:bow and they c
Lay double Yolk eggs more than any other chicken I know!!!:cd

Back
Top Bottom