Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
woot.gif
LOL...thanks!! I am getting 1 a day now!!

This one of my two 9 week old RIR roosters. I have six hens! :)
They are finally old enough to know what they are!!! The are looking more like real RIRs by the day! Their beaks are even getting dark!

I am so happy! They moved in with my 7 bantam chickens this week in the big coop! :)

These are the two roosters

the combs and waddles are very obvious on my Roos!

My pullets don't have any red in their face yet. Don't you agree that the ones with the waddles and combs are Roos?

I am getting 0.:(
My production red was our only layer then stop of molt,now Chitchat hasn't layed for like months now.after moltig does it take a few more months to get back right?

AW DANG!What is he then?She doesn't have any gold on her,a few black specks.
.Actually your red "chicken" may really be a Rhode Island Red after all.......Many people think that the Very Dark, Almost Black- Brown exhibition strains are the only real pure bred Rhode Island Reds.....These people use "Production Red" to describe the non SOP, non show Rhode Island Reds sold by hatcheries and common non exhibition breeders.....RIR'S have a long history beginning in the first half of the 19th century...Over the decades many changes have occurred in color, type, feathering, weight; you name it.....The farm flock RIR'S have NEVER looked exactly like the exhibition RIR'S ....I remember my folks raising RIR'S and Barred Plymouth Rocks by the hundreds in the late 1940's and 1950's....The Reds came from Harco Orchards and the Rocks from Parks....Both breeds were productive and beautiful to see.... But the RIR'S certainly did not look like today's or their contemporary's exhibition RIR'S ....I have been around today's non standard RIR'S and some of them are easily recognized as real RIR'S...It depends on the hatchery ... RIR'S and NH cross "Production Reds" are another story entirely.....That makes sense because RIR'S and NH'S are just separated brothers/sisters for want of better terminology.....To me it makes absolutely no sense to say that because two different chickens look different in certain ways that they are from different breeds.... These issues rarely occur in other livestock communities....It may be because they have a sanctioned registry....With the almost certain growth of the new world wide interest in personally grown food and leisure hobby poultry raising it may be time to explore some type of registry or certification for heritage poultry breeds....I remember reading somewhere in the late 1990's that Urch's Java's were DNA tested to see how long the flock had been closed....Also, recall that Jeff Smith at Cackle Hatchery said that Cackle's RIR flocks had been closed since the 1930's.....Since this issue is such a sore spot for a lot of the truly dedicated breeders, maybe they could settle the issue by DNA testing....Actually, I don't even know if this is possible or feasible...Just an idea......But seems worthwhile to me since so many people get really shrunk out of shape over purebred or pure bred v. hatchery, junk, mutt, production...Unless the exhibition breeders can prove by DNA testing that their RIR'S are the only real RIR'S then their claims are suspect and are a disservice to the poultry raising community....

Back
Top Bottom