Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Curved under or up hints that it's a rooster? I purchased this chick in a pullet box but I know they can't be 100% certain. This chick is only 4 weeks old. Thanks for your help!
Under. Well it's physical appearance can give you a hint that it's a rooster. 4 weeks? Oh okay then. Your welcome.
I hope its a hen... I purchased the chick from a PULLET box but i know that's not 100% certain. In this picture, the chick is only 4 weeks old. Thanks for your help!
Yep.
Can you give an update when It's a bit older? I think it is a hen.

do rhode islands ever really go broody in general
fl.gif

Out of about 63 RIRs that I have dealt with, there has only been one that I can recall that needed to keep being removed from the nest because she wanted to stay on the eggs. It can happen, but it isn't common for them.

Sooo getting very excited about my hatch in 7 days. First time adding heritage RIR to my flock. The parents are deep mahogany, nearly black, and excellent brick shaped. Yays! Can barely control my excitement. :D

I would like a Rhode Island Red for my first mixed flock of 4. The only thing is that I hear that they are aggressive and bossy in mixed flocks
1f616.png
is this tru?!!

that completely depends on the individual.

the RIR that I got from Cackle were not too bossy, but also NOT laid back and mellow.
Then im probably just going to get a New Hampshire red. I hear they are more docile and still are good egg layers
1f603.png

Hi! I have one RIR hen, and her name is fire rose, she's kind of cranky some times. She thinks she's a rooster!

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting a Rhode Island Red for my first mix flock of 5 but I hear that the hatchery RIR's are aggressive
1f615.png
is this true?

Back
Top Bottom