Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
I'm planning on getting a Rhode Island Red for my first mix flock of 5 but I hear that the hatchery RIR's are aggressive
1f615.png
is this true?

highly variable... but they are definitely not quiet and laid back.

I'm planning on getting a Rhode Island Red for my first mix flock of 5 but I hear that the hatchery RIR's are aggressive
1f615.png
is this true?
I don't know if hatchery ones are more aggressive than non-hatchery RIR's, but in my experience my RIR's are a bit more spirited than some of my others and tend to be a bit more dominant, but not to such a degree that they are mean and I don't trust them with my more "docile' breeds. If you want a Rhode Island Red as part of your mix, I would say go for it, especially if you raise them all together starting as chicks. They work it out. She will likely be a reliable egg layer.

Hey guys! So I'm a bit confused. This is a pic of my first group of RIR's (with some black sex links and barred rocks in the picture also).

These chicks have since died, but we are starting up a new flock after securing our coop. I noticed that my new baby RIRs don't look anything like the RIRs I see all over the internet. They seem extremely dark to me?

Back
Top Bottom