Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Well we've had a string of hawk related chicken deaths, and now we're down to just three RIR. I know for sure that two are hens, but the other can go either way. Still waiting to see if he ever decides to start crowing?! Are RIR just a quieter breed? Going to order some more chicks online and keep them in the house or garage until they are old enough to go out without supervision! Wish me luck

Luck!!! My two are a month old 'Martha and Mammie' also shows my Buff DOLLY and Ida the gold Compine

so i finally found you lol
i have been a member of byc a lil bit but never looked into the rir thread even though i mainly have rirs lol i have five rir four buff orps and a munch of unknowns.

but to the question at hand my last hatch batch about three months ago i had two roos one was a rir and the other was i believe a possible rose comb iowa blue or something like that not entirely sure. i ended up with almost a rainbow of colored chicks red with black, black with red, all black, red with gold, black with gold, a few sex link(i was told) but then there were six with nearly all white or atleast large portions of white and red and spots of black(no gold so buffs ruled out). i then asked myself how do you get white chicks if non of the parents have any white? but i recently researched the difference in heritage rir and production rir and found out that production rir ( which i believe i have) were mixed with leghorns... is it possible that a recessive leghorn treat finally came out? or is it more likely that the unknown roo

Pretty, my RIR's have been out free ranging since they were about 2 weeks old, we did give them protection for the first bit, they also have taken a long time to work on integrating into the flock, they pretty much stuck together, now some of the new older leghorns stay with them too.

mine are in a mixed flock have RIR roos and 2 hens, crazy thing is I have one hen that honks like a goose

Pretty, my RIR's have been out free ranging since they were about 2 weeks old, we did give them protection for the first bit, they also have taken a long time to work on integrating into the flock, they pretty much stuck together, now some of the new older leghorns stay with them too.

mine are in a mixed flock have RIR roos and 2 hens, crazy thing is I have one hen that honks like a goose

Honks!!! What fun. My mix is 2 -R.I.R.s, 2 speckled Sussex, 2 Buff Orpington, 3 gold COMPINE. The roo is a compine

Last edited:
we have
3 Roosters :Barred Rock, RIR and an amerecuana
hens are :
2 brown leghorn
2 white leghorn
2 buff orpingtons
4 barred rocks
2 RIR
2 cornish x

then 2 drakes they were raised with and refuse to leave the coop, The Amercuana was a suprise one though it was supposed to be a pullet

Last edited:
we have
3 Roosters :Barred Rock, RIR and an amerecuana
hens are :
2 brown leghorn
2 white leghorn
2 buff orpingtons
4 barred rocks
2 RIR
2 cornish x

then 2 drakes they were raised with and refuse to leave the coop, The Amercuana was a suprise one though it was supposed to be a pullet

wow. You must sell eggs? How many should I expect to see a week?

Back
Top Bottom