Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Not sure about your weather either but it's harder for those like me that live in a basically tropical humidity environment because simply taking a garden hose and soaking down the run will only make things better for 5-10mins before it ends up much worse then it was. If you have dry heat you can do this to effectively cool an area. If it's hot here then it's humid always. Even low 80s can feel miserable. And the nights don't get me started.

My girls (still!) aren't laying. In y'all's experience what is the fall/winter slow down? We won't be supplemental lighting, should I not expect eggs until spring?? Say it ain't so! :/ I thought RIRs were great layers??

My RIR are 20 weeks old. They just started laying about a week ago. One of them has been laying an egg EVERY DAY! They are small, but perfect little, light brown eggs.

My girls (still!) aren't laying. In y'all's experience what is the fall/winter slow down? We won't be supplemental lighting, should I not expect eggs until spring?? Say it ain't so! :/ I thought RIRs were great layers??

If they are production rir then they will slow down but not completely... They could be going through molt? During molt they stop completely... Have they ever layed before? Late bloomers arnt unheard of

If they are production rir then they will slow down but not completely... They could be going through molt? During molt they stop completely... Have they ever layed before? Late bloomers arnt unheard of

They have never laid since I've owned them. They aren't molting. They were terribly infested with mites and lice. That's taken care of and their wattles have grown larger and reddened up. One will sort of squat when I go to pet her. Squat walk more like. I was hoping they would get going before the natural slow down. But the days are getting shorter and shorter and I'm losing hope for eggs this year. I'll just have to wait until spring I guess

I was wondering about this myself. My hens will be 14 weeks this coming Friday the 11th. Which means they are approaching laying age in the midst of a season change. I'm wondering what will happen if I don't supplement light in a few weeks. Will they just go all winter without starting to lay their first eggs until spring? Is this bad for them? Or would it actually be better for them to develop and grow even more without laying until possible 8-9 months of age?

I heard the longer they go without mating or laying the bigger they get but I don't exactly know how to "stop or delay" that
I was told this about Roos so I don't know if it works with hens too

Last edited:

This is Martha. She is one RIR the impresses. Curious. Calm. Almost business like with her foraging. Born 7/1/15

I was wondering about this myself. My hens will be 14 weeks this coming Friday the 11th. Which means they are approaching laying age in the midst of a season change. I'm wondering what will happen if I don't supplement light in a few weeks. Will they just go all winter without starting to lay their first eggs until spring? Is this bad for them? Or would it actually be better for them to develop and grow even more without laying until possible 8-9 months of age?

I'm new, that's my disclaimer, but it seems to me that it wouldn't be bad for them because late layers happen in nature. There is a natural slow down according to daylight hours, so their bodies must naturally adjust. I reallllly want my first eggs but it's possible nature is going to take its course and my hens won't lay until spring. :/

Back
Top Bottom