Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
I have 2 RIR hens named Maple and Cuddles. I can barely tell them apart, but they are very fun to take pictures of. They are 19 weeks old now.

This is both of them when they were a little younger.

This is baby Cuddles.

Here's a picture of both of them about 2 weeks ago.

I think this is Maple. I took this picture 6 days ago. This picture is my favorite!

Finally my trio are looking good. (22 weeks, last Friday) My rooster Meatloaf, is filling in very nicely. I am not sure why, but I am so proud of these three.. In my eyes they are just as beautiful as a RIR Could be. ( I don't show, so... heh, I could be way way off ) But I just love the lines and the silkyness, the overall shape and colour of these 3.

Have a wonderful day all!

My parents and I noticed that our 7 month old RIR (I think she's a production one since we got her from a feedstore) is more petite than our other two (Langshan and Wellsummer). She seems to be doing fine otherwise (she runs around with the other two and lays pretty consistently). Do RIR tend to be on the smaller side, or is this something to be concerned about?

My parents and I noticed that our 7 month old RIR (I think she's a production one since we got her from a feedstore) is more petite than our other two (Langshan and Wellsummer).  She seems to be doing fine otherwise (she runs around with the other two and lays pretty consistently).  Do RIR tend to be on the smaller side, or is this something to be concerned about? 

Should be no concern the other two are fatties.. Meatier birds heritage rir look like bricks so your fine if you have feed always there there really should be no cause for concern

My RIR are suppose to be production ones from McMurray but I'm pleased at how dark most are with two being the exception. And Brooster my cockerel is getting huge. He is almost 17 weeks and brick is the perfect way to describe him. Almost like a body builder Rooster.

My parents and I noticed that our 7 month old RIR (I think she's a production one since we got her from a feedstore) is more petite than our other two (Langshan and Wellsummer). She seems to be doing fine otherwise (she runs around with the other two and lays pretty consistently). Do RIR tend to be on the smaller side, or is this something to be concerned about?
Heritage RIR's are of the Heavy or Large Fowl groupings.. your red probably is a production red, which is two different things. Typically, production reds are smaller, as their use is geared for egg production, not meat. While heritage RIR's are considered a dual use bird. Our RIR rooster at 23 weeks (tomorrow) is Huge. He is double the size of our EE Rooster. Putting him next to one of my leghorn females, she looks like a banty compared to him. lol I wouldn't be concerned about her size. Our RIR females are also sizeable, but not anywhere near what he is in size.

Here is a good comparable between our Production Red (Red sex link) and our heritage RIR Rooster. He is quite a bit bigger than her. She is 2, and he was, at the time was 16 and a half weeks old. ( the light is filtering through the trees, so makes his colour look off..)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I agree that she's a production RIR (size, and she's been remarkably consistent about laying every day). As far as getting her through her first two years in good shape, I assume adequate calcium, vitamin D, and protein would be important. Other than keeping her on a good layer feed, are there any other things I should know feeding wise?

Back
Top Bottom