Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Each one like any other will develop their own personality, my problems was all 4 turned out to be roosters, 2 were well mannered gentleman and 2 were holy terrors before they even matured, so that was a bad situation, re homed 2 and 1 was killed and the 1 we Kept works well with the Main Barred rocks rooster at protecting the hens as we free range, main rooster is meaner than the devil though protecting the hens while the Red lets him do it and he moves the hens to safety so work well as a team. My flock is strange though, even getting more hens hasn't helped both roosters are covering all 17 hens so it's guess who the daddy is when they hatch,

I raise pure heritage Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. If anyone is interested in hatching eggs. I will have them available for a short while. I do send eggs from 2 family groups of my top breeders and mark the eggs so if anyone if interested in preserving the breed they are not in-breeding. They are related but not sister/brother (cousins).
http://www.hilltop-farm.info/store

Here are some youngsters from last years hatch.
Two of the males and a female form these hatches did win champions. Others placed well.

Thanks for the info cmom, All I have been able to find is production around here and I love the heritage

Newbie question. We have 3 RIR chicks, born 5/4. Today I was out working in the garage and noticed that they'd pushed a bunch of the shavings over in one corner and were kind of rolling around in it, then basically falling asleep. Two of them have lost nearly all of the fuzziness, but one still has a few fuzzy spots on her back.

Normal? Anything to be concerned about? They seem to be acting otherwise perfectly normal. (Though they might be a little traumatized by their dog encounter yesterday. No one got hurt but both our dogs went from curious to wanting a snack. Bad dog!)

Newbie question. We have 3 RIR chicks, born 5/4. Today I was out working in the garage and noticed that they'd pushed a bunch of the shavings over in one corner and were kind of rolling around in it, then basically falling asleep. Two of them have lost nearly all of the fuzziness, but one still has a few fuzzy spots on her back.

Normal? Anything to be concerned about? They seem to be acting otherwise perfectly normal. (Though they might be a little traumatized by their dog encounter yesterday. No one got hurt but both our dogs went from curious to wanting a snack. Bad dog!)
welcome-byc.gif
Probably trying to dust bathe in the shavings. It's natural.

my friend picked me up 3, one week old Rhode island reds. their names are still a work in progress. but I'm leaning to Buffy, Xena, maybe morticia.
they have to have tough names cause they are going to be the younger ones. hoping they all get along well in time. photos to come once they come home.

Back
Top Bottom