Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Hello everybody! I hope it's okay that I join...

I'm not sure if this question's been answered already, I didn't read the entire thread.....

When do RIR's begin laying? I'm hoping at around 4-5 months. What about yours?
1f914.png

I'm not sure if this question's been answered already, I didn't read the entire thread.....

1f914.png
Of my 3 girls one started at just under 4 months one started at 4 months 1 week and the other started at 5 months. Every girl is different but they SHOULD start laying at 4-5 months yes :)

here is one of my girls.
they are just turning 4 months. no eggs yet!
You will know when they are about to lay, their combs grow in what seems like over-night! I each of my 3 girls right when I saw them getting their combs... about 2-3 weeks after my girl's combs shot up is when they started laying for me.

Of my 3 girls one started at just under 4 months one started at 4 months 1 week and the other started at 5 months. Every girl is different but they SHOULD start laying at 4-5 months yes :)

You will know when they are about to lay, their combs grow in what seems like over-night! I each of my 3 girls right when I saw them getting their combs... about 2-3 weeks after my girl's combs shot up is when they started laying for me.

Thanks, @Stormyhorses98 , for responding to my post! I'm looking forward to having my own flock with a couple of RIRs. I'm looking forward to some yummy fresh eggs!

- Alley

1f914.png
Most of my Production Rhode Island Reds (hatchery) started laying around 24 to 26 weeks (5 to 6 months), some sooner and some later. My pure Heritage Rhode Island Reds start laying quite a bit later 8 to 9 months old. I hatch out all of my birds. Hatchery birds are bred for egg production. My Heritage are very good layers and do tend to lay much longer than the hatchery birds, but I do selective breeding.

Most of my Production Rhode Island Reds (hatchery) started laying around 24 to 26 weeks (5 to 6 months), some sooner and some later. My pure Heritage Rhode Island Reds start laying quite a bit later 8 to 9 months old. I hatch out all of my birds. Hatchery birds are bred for egg production. My Heritage are very good layers and do tend to lay much longer than the hatchery birds, but I do selective breeding.

Thanks for the info, @cmom !

We are getting some RI Reds from a neighbor who is moving. We live in MA so it gets relatively cold in the winter. I've read that I'm not doing the birds any favors by supplementing heat in the winter. My husband will be building a draft free secure coop. I'm assuming from what I've been reading the hens should be fine. Anyone want to add their 2 cents? I'd love to hear feedback. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom