Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
We are getting some RI Reds from a neighbor who is moving. We live in MA so it gets relatively cold in the winter. I've read that I'm not doing the birds any favors by supplementing heat in the winter. My husband will be building a draft free secure coop. I'm assuming from what I've been reading the hens should be fine. Anyone want to add their 2 cents? I'd love to hear feedback. Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif
I have a friend who lives in Anchorage Alaska. She doesn't heat her coop but it is insulated and she does have mostly Rose Comb breeds which are less likely to get frostbite. She does use a heater for her waterer so it will not freeze especially in the winter months. She has told me in the winter she works during the day and when she comes home from work and goes out to collect eggs that they are usually frozen so she has kept the eggs in the freezer as the egg shells do crack when they freeze. I tried freezing my cracked eggs and it works great.

Last edited:
Interesting. I never thought about the eggs freezing. We are definitely very South of Alaska but MA can get bouts of frigid weather (not too often.) I'm guessing they usually lay at the same times each day? And I wonder how long it would take for the eggs to freeze. Most days we are home so it's not a problem to check frequently. Eh, I'm such a newbie. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

I don't think you have to worry about your eggs freezing. One of our daughter lives in New Hampshire and her coop isn't heated. She has never had eggs freeze as far as I know. My husband is originally from Mass.

Oh, good no frozen eggs. Where did your husband live? We are in So Eastern Ma near RI border. My mom is in St. Petersburg. What kind of chickens does your daughter have? The NH reds seem to be popular around here too.

Oh, good no frozen eggs. Where did your husband live? We are in So Eastern Ma near RI border. My mom is in St. Petersburg. What kind of chickens does your daughter have? The NH reds seem to be popular around here too.

I'm originally from St Pete but years ago moved up by Ocala. My husband is from the north shore, Newburyport. Our daughter has Sadie her Silkie, and various other breeds such as Rhode Island Red. She doesn't really care about breeds. Her male is Silkie and Orloff mix.

Last edited:
I'm originally from St Pete but years ago moved up by Ocala. My husband is from the north shore, Newburyport. Our daughter has Sadie her Silkie, and various other breeds such as Rhode Island Red. She doesn't really care about breeds. Her male is Silkie and Orloff mix.

I would like a mix. But I will be getting the RI Reds free. I was thinking about Wyandotte too.

Our winters here can be pretty brutal in the mountains of Idaho, our chickens do what they want though.as they free range. we built them a nice insulated coop and they weren't having anything to do with that unless they want to brood, they prefer the empty open horse stall. When they need to go in they do so. We stacked in hay bales on the 2 open sides and in winter put wood up over the door no supplemental heating or light and they do fine even in -40 temps. They did fine without us interfering for a very long time., as long as they aren''t used to having heat source they do well on their own their bodies adapt to the season changes like getting more down if it's going to be super cold. Your roosters may need vaseline on their combs to prevent frost bite, ours lost their combs the first winter because they are always up as high as they can get watching for anything that might wanna bug the hens, it didn't affect them really just took a while to get used to seeing them without their pretty combs.

Back
Top Bottom