Rhode Island Red vs Astrolorp

We did a lot of reading that Australorp were more docile especially towards a more dominant RIR whom I read several stories of them being meaners(understatement) so we went with Australorps. They are the friendliest and the top with our mixed flock of dociles. ((And every Google page for any breed says 'docile by nature's lol))

Eta my cousin had RIR but that was all she had and they were fine together

Last edited:
Our Rhode Island Reds are bullying our Astrolorps. Wondering if anyone else has seen them as aggressive.?
Are RiR aggressive? Heck yes, they're chickens first and foremost. They were bred to be on the strong and active side for survival reasons and noted both historically and by testing as on the aggressive side of the slider. It's more noticeable with smaller, gentle hens, like Astrolorps.
RiR's are fantastic with other feisty chickens, they're fine also if you are free ranging as they can stand up to a lot of critters, like cats or small dogs or other barnyard animals.
With gentler more passive breeds? I would not mix. RiR's produce big eggs, their healthy and strong and a great solo breed but in a mixed flock? Use appropriate caution.

Back
Top Bottom