Rhode Island Reds - Does comb size determine gender?

ShelleyBurch

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2015
We have 6 Rhode Island Reds. They are 11 weeks old. 4 of them have very large combs, and 2 of them hardly have them at all. "Everyone" (this is a collective "everyone" who actually know very little about chickens) is telling me that the 4 with the combs are roosters and the other two are hens. What do you think? The one at the bottom and the one in the middle are the two with very small, almost non-existent combs. I thought I wouldn't be able to tell the hens from the roosters for a bit longer.

Males develop combs and waddles weeks before females even start to. So their advice is probably correct. Also, male Reds will get black hackle feathers in their neck, which you can see in the pics.

Last edited:
As it turns out the "everyone" is telling you correctly. You have four cockerels and two pullets. Actually you can tell the cockerels from the pullets quite a bit earlier than this as the cockerels not only begin developing larger combs and wattles around a couple of months old, but their combs and wattles turn much redder than the pullets during that time as well. Your pullets combs will not redden up until shortly before they start laying.

welcome-byc.gif

Agree with "everyone". 4 males, 2 females. You've got probably 6ish weeks to make some serious management decisions before those boys start making life rough on your pullets.

Bummer. "Serious management decisions" as in "how to fit 4 chickens in a crockpot"? This is not the direction I saw my first year of backyard chickens going. Oh, well, that's part of the deal, right?

But, if I get rid of the 4 roosters, I'll probably need to get more hens. Then I will have to figure out how to add new hens to a flock peacefully. Guess I have some more forums to read.

As it turns out the "everyone" is telling you correctly. You have four cockerels and two pullets. Actually you can tell the cockerels from the pullets quite a bit earlier than this as the cockerels not only begin developing larger combs and wattles around a couple of months old, but their combs and wattles turn much redder than the pullets during that time as well. Your pullets combs will not redden up until shortly before they start laying.
x2

i have three rhode island red chickens about 2 months old and two have big combs and wottles that are bright red like yours and the other has a yellow small comb. we already have a roo so were trying to home them now, i live in crosslanes wv if any ones interested, free to a good home

There are two Rhode Island Red Roos for free. The other pic is my cream Legbar. She’s staying here I Just put this pic because she’s sweet

Attachments

• 58B6024A-AD71-415D-85D9-A1673259BED0.jpeg
    58B6024A-AD71-415D-85D9-A1673259BED0.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 8FC1C1BB-5EA7-49F8-8F37-49174C034845.png
    8FC1C1BB-5EA7-49F8-8F37-49174C034845.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom