RIP Miss Jane- hawk attack

wyliefarms

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Fowlerville,MI
A very sad day at our house today. My daughter's very first bantam hen we bought for her 4 years ago was taken away by a hawk this morning. I feel terrible, I went out to check on one of her sick laying hens, which is doing better, (she doesn't like to dispose of them if they die) and let the chickens out. Her bantam free ranges (won't stay in the coop, independent little thing!) The girls were heading out with water (we live in Michigan) and the hawk attack happened as they were carrying the water buckets out. I rushed out, but the hawk and flown away with the hen. We all had a good cry out in the freezing cold. Now I am on a mission to try and find the breeder that I bought the hen from 4 years ago in MI at a swap meet in Shiawassee County Fairgrounds.

14680_june_2008_053.jpg

This is Rachel and Miss Jane back in the summer of 2008

I am so sorry for your loss. We too had a hawk land in the yard but he didn't get any chickens. I am so sorry you were not as fortunate. Hugs to Rachel.. How sweet to raise that chicken for four years! I hope you find a replacement and she has many years of taking care of it.

Mary

Thanks! Rachel has almost 50 chickens
smile.png
I got the number of who I need to call to get the ball rolling on getting a new showmanship hen.

Sarah, once warm weather returns Rachael is welcome to hatching eggs from any of my bantams she would like. Tell her I'm sorry she lost her bird.

Wow, that really stinks! Right there in front of her too! I am so sorry. I have a Rachel too, she is my oldest daughter, now 18, huge animal lover, she would have been crying too. Not sure what Miss Jane was, but Rachel is welcome to hatching eggs from us too if she wants.

Wow.

First, I was heartbroken to think of watching a hawk carry away one of my beloved girls...I am so sorry for your daughter. I see she has lots of chickens, but it still hurts to lose the special ones. Especially in such a sudden and horrifying way.

And I'm really touched by the kindness of the BYC folks. I've been reading here for quite some time, and recently started posting. This is a special group of people.

Talk about insult to injury that it happened right in front of her! I'm so sorry for you and Rachel. You are such a good Mom to try to get her another little special chick for her.Take care.

Back
Top Bottom