Ripped her head off!

I am so sorry this happened to your poor hen - brazen brazen Cooper's hawk. What a stark and sobering reminder of their incredible skill and tenacity.

I have a roo and hen who are used to free ranging - they are sad and upset when they can't. Well, a few months ago a pair of Cooper's hawks took up residence and nested in a tree practically within spitting distance of the coop (of course!). I've spent more time than I have in a day - with work to get to, etc. - standing over BJ and Annie to give them free range freedom (we're in a residential neighborhood and Annie complains mightily when confined to the run - this is a problem! She loves to explore and gets so much joy out of every minute running around free).

So far Mr. and Mrs. Cooper have minded their manners - they've seemed almost uninterested and even BJ roo does little more than scold the sky in their general direction - but get this: today their 4 mini-Coopers fledged and now there are 6 hawks zooming all over the place. BJ roo is scolding the sky right and left and if these hawks don't move on to new territory it's going to be mighty stressful around here. It's been an unbelievable few hours with these young hawks - who are as big as their parents at this point, zooming around branch to branch - low - working on getting their bearings, eating constantly various things that mom delivers to them - at first it was mice - now it seems like bigger meals but I'm not sure what.

Again, I am terribly sorry for what happened to your girl.
hugs.gif

JJ

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. I have 2 Blue Cochins they are beautiful. It is sad that it happened but the worst is that you and your son witnessed it, i can imagine how devastating it would be. Protect your remaining babes the best you can and always keep the memories of Angie on the good times. Take care and best of luck.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

Back
Top Bottom