What predator rips off chicken heads

Katey802

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2023
I am at a total loss and beyond heart broken. On Friday one of my 12 week old chicks was eaten by a predator, today her mom had her head ripped off by what I assume was the same predator.
We free range and live in the country. I have never had issues with predators before and this is new territory for me. I’m unable to get a run built within the next few weeks as I’m 8 months pregnant and my husband is a truck driver and not home.
Any tips on deterring whatever’s getting them?

Raccoons, they’re just awful and will pull chickens through chicken wire by their heads ☹️
I’m sorry you lost your babies.

Raccoons, they’re just awful and will pull chickens through chicken wire by their heads ☹️
I’m sorry you lost your babies.
Thank you! I’m so upset it was my favorite silkie too, I found her 2 other babies hiding under my shed I believe she probably died protecting them

Thank you! I’m so upset it was my favorite silkie too, I found her 2 other babies hiding under my shed I believe she probably died protecting them
Do you free range? Can you lock the rest in the coop until you have a run? I’m sorry Mama died saving her babies

We do, I’m going to keep them in for now and borrow a live trap from my neighbor tomorrow hopefully I can catch it and relocate it.
It’s going to be a few weeks before my husbands home and able to build a run so im sure ill have some very cranky chickens, better cranky than dead I suppose.

We do, I’m going to keep them in for now and borrow a live trap from my neighbor tomorrow hopefully I can catch it and relocate it.
It’s going to be a few weeks before my husbands home and able to build a run so im sure ill have some very cranky chickens, better cranky than dead I suppose.
Yes indeed. I hope you can trap the raccoon, or whatever it might be, and let your girls back out 😊

Back
Top Bottom