RIR and Columbian Wyandotte cross

Hatching Addict

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015
Texas
I have read on BYC that it is possible to "make" a Red Sex Link by crossing a RIR rooster over a Columbian Wyandotte hen. I was hoping to have some chicks from this cross sometime this spring. However I can't find any pictures or discussion about this being done...on BYC or anywhere else. I'm beginning to wonder if this is such a good idea. Any help...ideas...or pictures of this cross would be greatly appreciated!

Columbian Wyandottes will not make Red Sex Link offspring as they lack the silver gene necessary to do so. If you want a Red Sex Link using a wyandotte, you will need to cross your RIR rooster with a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm a little confused at what you said...does that mean that the information in this thread is not right...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information. If I am reading the chart right, it lists Columbian Wyandottes as a possibility (under group 2). Just trying to figure this out before I put the time and effort into a project that isn't even possible to begin with....thanks again for your response.

Last edited:
A RIR male over columbian Wyandotte female should produce gold based pullets and gold/silver split based cockerels. The darker chicks will be your females, the lighter your males.

Thanks for your reply, but I'm a little confused at what you said...does that mean that the information in this thread is not right...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information. If I am reading the chart right, it lists Columbian Wyandottes as a possibility (under group 2). Just trying to figure this out before I put the time and effort into a project that isn't even possible to begin with....thanks again for your response.

Actually, that was my mistake and I apologize for it. Columbian Wyandottes (as well as the silver laced Wyandottes) do carry the silver gene necessary for producing Red Sex Links. I had White Leghorn hens in mind and can only plead brain freeze on this one. :eek:(

Actually, that was my mistake and I apologize for it. Columbian Wyandottes (as well as the silver laced Wyandottes) do carry the silver gene necessary for producing Red Sex Links. I had White Leghorn hens in mind and can only plead brain freeze on this one. :eek:(
No problem...it happens to all of us.Thanks for letting me know.
smile.png

Wish I could help you, but I'm on the same track. I advertised looking for test eggs for my new incubator and found a local lady with a nice flock of Colombian Wyandottes. I got 3 eggs to hatch, I figure I'll eat any cockerels and keep the pullets to go in the sex link pen. I don't have any other rose combed birds at the moment, so tracking their offspring should be pretty easy. I'm hoping they make nice sex links, but I've never seen pics yet, just going off Tim's chart you referenced.

I will say, if you're looking for a more production based bird, I'd pick a different silver female. The Colombian Wyandottes don't seem to be stellar layers. Decent enough, but not the high production rate. If you're wanting a bird to churn out the eggs, you might start with different parent stock, and a lighter bodied bird like a Light Sussex.

Last edited:
Wish I could help you, but I'm on the same track. I advertised looking for test eggs for my new incubator and found a local lady with a nice flock of Colombian Wyandottes. I got 3 eggs to hatch, I figure I'll eat any cockerels and keep the pullets to go in the sex link pen. I don't have any other rose combed birds at the moment, so tracking their offspring should be pretty easy. I'm hoping they make nice sex links, but I've never seen pics yet, just going off Tim's chart you referenced.

I will say, if you're looking for a more production based bird, I'd pick a different silver female. The Colombian Wyandottes don't seem to be stellar layers. Decent enough, but not the high production rate. If you're wanting a bird to churn out the eggs, you might start with different parent stock, and a lighter bodied bird like a Light Sussex.
I have run the cross through the genetics calculator and the appearance of the offspring sounds promising, but I would still like to see real life pictures of them. I guess if I'm successful I'll have to post some.
smile.png

As far as the laying ability, I've had a few Wyandottes in the past and they are fair to good layers. But you are right, they can't hold a compete with the RIRs, etc. I have read in several places that the laying ability of a pullet comes in from the rooster side. So my hope is that by using a RIR rooster it will help boost the egg production of the chicks. I do realize that most sex links are solely for egg production, but I would like to have some that would be a little heavier, lay good to very good, and be able to sex them as chicks.

Again at this point in time, this is all just theory. I just wanted to "hash it out" with all ya'll with considerable more experience and knowledge then me. I was also hoping that someone would chime in and say that they had done it before and had pictures......what bothers me is that if "nobody" has done it...then it might not be as good of a cross as I am hoping....or could it be because the Columbian Wyandottes are just not as common as some of the alternatives?

Thanks donrae for your ideas and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom