RIR Pullets, yes?

Laigaie

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Fayetteville, AR
We bought these girls as "4-5mo RIR pullets" and we're hoping that's what they actually are. The roos wandering their farm when we arrived were definitely RIRs, and gorgeous ones at that. Now, pics of our new girls! Unfortunately, the weather here has been absolutely terrible today, so these are all indoor photos. If these won't cut it, it should be sunnier tomorrow and maybe we can get some natural light going. They're gorgeous, but the farmer's wife didn't sound 100% sure they're all pullets, even though that's what we paid for...

Introducing Beryl!
81597_berylfront.jpg

81597_berylside.jpg

And Garnet!
81597_garnetfront.jpg

81597_garnetside.jpg

And Ruby, who I'm most worried about. An awful lot of comb on this one:
81597_rubyfront.jpg

81597_rubyside.jpg

81597_rubyclose.jpg

None have pointy saddle feathers, or any sign of the good sickle feathers a RIR roo would get, but that's just such an awful lot of comb compared to what everyone else seems to be getting out of pullets, even RIR pullets. So, what do you guys think, or do I need better pics to tell?

Looks like 3 RIR pullets too me. A roo would be obvious at that age. The last girl just looks a little closer to laying than the rest.

GO RUBY!!
wee.gif
I was hoping to hear from other RIR owners. I was just scared of all that comb, but she really hasn't got any of the saddle feathers or the gorgeous tail that your roos got by her age. It's only such a big deal because roos are illegal inside city limits. Four hens, but no roos for our little girls.

Back
Top Bottom