Rolling in the dirt?

Do roosters do this also? Or only the hens? I have 4 Polish Cross chickens and can't tell which ones are hens but I know at least 2 are roosters. 2 of them were dirtbathing yesterday,but the 2 confirmed roosters were not and neither were my 3 little bantam roosters.

Do roosters do this also? Or only the hens? I have 4 Polish Cross chickens and can't tell which ones are hens but I know at least 2 are roosters. 2 of them were dirtbathing yesterday,but the 2 confirmed roosters were not and neither were my 3 little bantam roosters.

Our roo usually waits until most of the girls are done dustbathing, he watches over them while they are busy and then he will do it. I wish I'd gotten pictures of him yesterday, he was having a really good time flipping dirt all over himself.
lol.png

We finally had some nice weather today and I let my girls out of their run (which is located in my fenced in backyard) and the flew/run to my house squawking and immediately started dustbathing in the dirt against the house. So funny! They haven't been loose in about two weeks, so they were eager to get their dust bath on!

We finally had some nice weather today and I let my girls out of their run (which is located in my fenced in backyard) and the flew/run to my house squawking and immediately started dustbathing in the dirt against the house. So funny! They haven't been loose in about two weeks, so they were eager to get their dust bath on!

Isn't it so cute?

My flock decided to dustbathe in a new area today, it was under a huge Sycamore tree that had about 3 feet of leaves under it. they were having so much fun rolling around in the leaves. Too funny!

Leaves are the best! My girls love to kick up the leaves and find all sorts of yummy insects to eat. I just love watching them. So funny.

Our chickens will spend hours digging through piles of leaves looking for yummy (?) things to eat. I love watching them, sometimes all you can see is tail feathers sticking up out of the holes they make in the leaves.

My two 3-4 weeks old Buffs are doing it. They're in shade the ground is sort of cool. But it's hot outside
It's scary when you don't know chickens yet

They're in shade, some ground is moist some is dry,
Not sure what to do, thinking about putting them back in garage

My two 3-4 weeks old Buffs are doing it. They're in shade the ground is sort of cool. But it's hot outside
It's scary when you don't know chickens yet

They're in shade, some ground is moist some is dry,
Not sure what to do, thinking about putting them back in garage

If they are protected from predators and are able to stay cool in the shade with plenty of water and food (in the shade) they should be fine. At that age, I would definitely keep an eye on them, though.

Back
Top Bottom