Roo attacked: comb gnawed off. treatment help needed.

Twiggers96

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Arcadia, FL
MidnightFriday caught opposum in the act of eating my Dutch Banty Roo for dinner.
He is in bad shape. Only one point on his previosly five point comb left, one eye swollen shut &
And has puss. Left foot curled up. Not broken tho.

Have been giving him electrolytes/water, he hasnot taken food yet [2 days now]
I have cleaned the comb, added neosporin but it still is not looking well. I don't know if the smell
if from the blood that keeps clotting or incection.

He is with his mate in a large crate in the house

Any suggestions? This is different from a dubbing because of the nasty bacteria from the opossum bites.

He is going to need some oral antibiotics, I like to give 1/4--1/2 of a 22.7 baytril twice a day.

He may also be in shock, sometimes that kills them when they could otherwise recover.

ETA: he will also need to be force fed scrambled eggs or some kind of paste or mush so his blood sugar doesn't drop.

Last edited:
You need to get that bird to eat. I think the infection is bad & spreading. I had a bird that got real sick both eyes closed & wouldn't eat. I.would have lost her if she didn't like meal worms so much. I tried keeping her eyes clean & open. After about 1 very long week she started to get better. Pray. It doesn't sound good. It needs to be separate from others. :(

Last edited:
i would do just that feed it its fav food mealworms what ever you can

bring him in the house

and get a good eye wash solution and keep al areas clean

and pray as we all will do for him too

For the comb I would use some black salve if you can find some or make some, that stuff seems to always help injuries and infections that neosporin won't fix. For his eye additional to using eye wash I would take a warm wet washcloth and hold it on his eye a few times a day, it helps it heal and also eases the pain a lot. Poor little guy, I hope he gets well soon

I think it is easier getting a toddler to take medicine than it is force feeding this rooster!!!

He is still alive: took to vet and roo rec'd a shot of antibiotics on Monday & one today. Also eye ointment. (only charged me $10
big_smile.png
)
One eye is all clear now and 2nd is almost done w/the goop.

Having the worst time getting him to eat. He has eaten very little since Friday.
Strong will to drink but even his fav's don't get him munching.

How do you people force feed? I've made a mash, made a sludge - are you prying the beak open?

I'm starting to wonder if he can smell? Hear? His eyes are still brown so I am hoping if he was blinded by a tooth/claw that the eye color would change by now?

He took to some watered down yogurt today but that's not going to keep him strong.

he.gif

Back
Top Bottom