Roo Confusion? (EE)

GreenCreekHaven

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
This is probably so obvious to longtime chicken keepers but this is my first flock and all different breeds. My Easter Egger "crowed" a couple times over a month ago but I have not seen or heard him/her do it since. Has quite a red comb but no wattles. Another chick in the flock (Wyandotte) turned out to be a roo and crows everyday and seems to be alpha/top of the pecking order. Is that why my EE stopped crowing? It's only a flock of 5 chickens. Is my EE for sure a roo? They are appx 12-13 weeks old now. I can only keep one rooster so I want to make sure before re-homing.

Attachments

• 20230621_183139.jpg
    20230621_183139.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230621_152143.jpg
    20230621_152143.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 26
Yes this is a cockerel. You don't see any wattles because pea comb and beard. The most probable explanation as to why he stopped crowing is because the other one has, and is the top male. I haven't found this to follow them through into adulthood, but younger cockerels *sometimes* suppress their crowing when another male higher in ranking is present. Usually that bird is also older, but it seems like in your case this guy took it too seriously. Or it might be that he wasn't up for it yet. I've had cockerels who tested out their crows, stopped, and then started crowing for good a month later

Last edited:
Yes this is a cockerel. You don't see any wattles because pea comb and beard. The most probable explanation as to why he stopped crowing is because the other one has, and is the top male. I haven't found this to follow them through into adulthood, but younger cockerel *sometimes* suppress their crowing when another male higher in ranking is present. Usually that bird is also older, but it seems like in your case this guy took it too seriously. Or it might be that he wasn't up for it yet. I've had cockerels who tested out their crows, stopped, and then started crowing for good a month later
Thank you for answering about the lack of crowing part too! In my gut I really thought cockerel but just want to be 100% sure before losing one of them!

Back
Top Bottom