Roo gotta go...

myback40

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
washington state
Hi everyone. I am new to poultry this year. We got 10 layer chicks who are now 18 weeks old. One of my Americaunas turned out to be a rooster. I thought I'd keep him at first. But he is becoming a bit aggressive and I want to cull him.

I have seen so many methods proposed. I like the idea of combining killing cone with decapitation (very sharp knife, pull head down out of the cone and cut quickly) -- saw that on YouTube. But I could also use the axe method.

Questions about the axe method:
-Will a very sharp meat cleaver work better than an axe?
-How do you know how far apart to put the nails in the stump? Is there a better way to keep him still?

I have no confidence whatsoever in my ability to break a chicken neck. Pretty sure I'd just piss him off, get scared, and run for the house, little girl style.

Thanks for any help making this a humane endeavor.

welcome-byc.gif

- I'm sure the cleaver would work but would you want to do that to your blade's edge?

- You'd put the nails far enough apart that the chicken's neck will fit between but not far enough apart that the chicken's head can slip through.

If you don't have a regular killing cone, other creative methods will work. I've made cones from milk cartons or gallon juice bottles. I've also tied their feet up on a makeshift clothesline. Bring an umbrella.
lol.png

Just because he is aggressive, does not mean he should be punished to sudden death. He just needs an attitude adjustment and he should be fine. Take a rake in the pen with you and if he trys anything then you have protection, but talk to him, let him know everything is okay. If he charges you swatt him with your hand, just enough to let him know who is brood leader. But if your really interested in killing him and you dont want to do it yourself take him to an amish farm. most friendly amish will do it for you.

One advantage to the cone over the axe or cleaver is that the bird doesn't thrash (and spray blood) everywhere. I've always used the cone method, but I had some help with butchering this year and decided to try the axe. Several of my roosters thrashed so hard that they broke their wings. Even though their heads are on the ground several feet away, and I know that there is no pain or fear going on, it's distressing to me.

If you are worried about strength, you might consider "pithing". Open the rooster's beak and stab a sharp knife up between his eyes into his brain. At this point the bird is brain dead, you can slit the throat and let it bleed out. Be warned that there is still some thrashing during the last moments, but with the bird confined to the cone, it isn't as dramatic or messy.

Just because he is aggressive, does not mean he should be punished to sudden death. He just needs an attitude adjustment and he should be fine. Take a rake in the pen with you and if he trys anything then you have protection, but talk to him, let him know everything is okay. If he charges you swatt him with your hand, just enough to let him know who is brood leader. But if your really interested in killing him and you dont want to do it yourself take him to an amish farm. most friendly amish will do it for you.

I think you may be lost......this is the Meat Bird forum. This is where we talk about butchering and eating birds. If you disagree with this, there's the entire rest of the site for you to hang out in. This is the one place we're supposed to not be harassed for butchering or eating chicken.

Cones are great. I've never had the dexterity or confidence to use the stump and hatchet, but the cone holds the bird still. There's minimal flapping and no broken wings, etc.

I've made a cone from thick plastic pond liner and duct tape, milk or bleach jugs, things like that. Especially for an EE, you won't need a very big container. A bleach jug may not work for a big ol Cornish Cross, but it will be fine for this smaller bird.

Last edited:
I think you may be lost......this is the Meat Bird forum. This is where we talk about butchering and eating birds. If you disagree with this, there's the entire rest of the site for you to hang out in. This is the one place we're supposed to not be harassed for butchering or eating chicken.

Cones are great. I've never had the dexterity or confidence to use the stump and hatchet, but the cone holds the bird still. There's minimal flapping and no broken wings, etc.

I've made a cone from thick plastic pond liner and duct tape, milk or bleach jugs, things like that. Especially for an EE, you won't need a very big container. A bleach jug may not work for a big ol Cornish Cross, but it will be fine for this smaller bird.
It didn't appear to me that chickenkid12 was harassing the thread starter for butchering the rooster, only offering a possible option. Perhaps the words "punished to sudden death" were a bit strong, but having twice decided to cull a rooster, not because of his aggression towards me, but his unrelenting abuse of the hens gives me considerable sympathy to the idea of butchering the rooster and moving on. Roosters are a dime a dozen...free to a good home... and if you really want a rooster in your flock, you shouldn't have be stuck with a mean one.

I have only once butchered a chicken and I used the broomstick method. I was absolutely terrified because more than anything, I did not want him to suffer. I already had a cone ready because using that and throat slit was my original plan but i just could not do it. Finally, I grabbed a stick, held my breath, and did it. It was so instant! There was no doubt in my mind that he felt nothing. I immediately popped him in the cone so I could recover and this let him bleed out into the neck skin. There was absolutely no mess. I used a sharp knife and cut off the head over a bucket. So yeah, if I ever get up the nerve to do it again, that will be my method of choice! Good luck!

Well, it is done. I may need serious therapy but I did it.

On my first attempt to catch him, I was so nervous I tripped, fell, and scared all 10 birds silly. Once I finally got him I held him upside down to calm him enough to grab him by the legs. Only 19 weeks old but man he was big. Then I had trouble getting his head to come down out of the cone. Thanks to YouTube I was ready for this. The final omg moment was when, after killing him, the thrashing caused air to go through his throat and he squawked. I thought he was still alive and almost lost it. Cut off the head and heard another squawk and realized it was just air.

To the gentle reader who offered alternatives to the kill, thank you. But he was not just aggressive to me. I won't feed and house a rapist. Every morning he went on his terror spree. And being so much bigger than the girls, he was eating well over 10% of the organic gmo-free $$ feed. I do appreciate your kindness though.

Great group! Thanks for all the support!!

Hah! I've actually had them honk or squawk after they've been dispatched, beheaded, scalded and plucked and I'm reaching into the abdominal cavity to remove the innards. Complaining until the very last I guess! Congrats on finding the courage and resolve to do what needed to be done.

Back
Top Bottom