Roo grabbing pullet by neck?

BrandiP

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
When I went down to let the chicks out this morning I saw the roo and a pullet engaged in some kind of disagreement. There was a good bit of squabbling and it looked like the roo had her by the scruff of her neck and wouldn't let go.

I'm assuming he was just asserting himself? I've never heard of a roo hurting a female intentionally. They are both the exact same age, hatched from the same incubator.

Anyone with similar experience who can stop my needless worrying?

He's trying to mate and apparently she's not wanting anything to do with it. That is normal mating behavior for the rooster. Some are just more aggressive about it than others.
wink.png

I have 1 big roo, and a little Sizzle and a little Silkie roo...the little boys are the ones that do all the biting and pulling on neck feathers. I think the girls are just not cooperating with them and they are trying to assert themselves...usually unsuccessfully. The big guy just does his thing with little fanfare.

It will look just awful until the pullet gets close to the point of laying and then she'll start cooperating. She still may not like it very much, but she will cooperate more; making it easier on both of them.

Back
Top Bottom