Roo has lice

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
So I assume they all do. I'm wondering if it is best to wash him first or just give him meds. I've got ivermectin in drops. I have been giving them cayenne pepper for a few weeks because I was going to worm them, but seeing that he's infested has me convinced I should do it sooner than later. poor boy.
sad.png

Any ideas appreciated. You guys know your stuff.

They all might have lice, or he might be the only one. All of the chickens in my flock usually don't have any mites, except for one cock, who almost always has mites. I think it just has to do with how well the preen themselves or something.

Anyway, I've never used Ivermectin to treat for mites, but I know that some people do, so I would try that. I'm not sure how many drops you should use. The treatment that I use for my show birds (I don't eat their eggs) is Frontline dog spray. You just apply it on the skin near the vent, and it usually keeps them parasite-free for about a month. The only downside is that it is not licensed for use on poultry, so you shouldn't eat the eggs of birds that have had it applied to them. For my non-show birds (I eat their eggs), I dust with 5% Sevin dust. It works pretty well, but some people don't like it because it isn't good for people and animals to breathe in.

I don't think that you need to wash him before treating. Just apply the Ivermectin, and it should take care of the problem.

Hope I've helped.
smile.png

thanks.
I have used Ivermecton on a bird with gap worm about 4 years ago. I figured out that I need to give 4-5 drops per hen and about 6 for a roo.
I don't like to treat them with this harsh stuff, but he's badly infested and I use DE all the time. I see this as necessary. I really love him and want him back on track. It's my bad since I haven't been paying close enough attention... tough year for me and very distracted.

I'll check each gal and inspect before treating, but I suspect they all have some level of infestation.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom