Roo injuring my girls

mommaford09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
I have 10 chickens with 3 ending up being males. 2 are docile and calm and then there is my Easter Egger Cockerel. He pecks at everyone else when they try to eat. He pulls the feathers off of them. And every morning I get up and someone is bleeding on their comb. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Is this normal? I feel bad for my girls.

I have 10 chickens with 3 ending up being males. 2 are docile and calm and then there is my Easter Egger Cockerel. He pecks at everyone else when they try to eat. He pulls the feathers off of them. And every morning I get up and someone is bleeding on their comb. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Is this normal? I feel bad for my girls
Personally I have no patience with those types of roos so into my pot they go, however you could just give him away. I have 9 living together just fine.

Last edited:
I don't think rehoming a rooster like that is a good idea. I don't believe it's fair to the next person to have to put up with him. We had one like that and tried everything to get things to work out, but eventually he just ended up in the freezer. Why keep a monster rooster when theres so many other nice ones out there :)

Why do you want a rooster? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is just personal preference. I always recommend people keep as few roosters as they can and still meet their goals. In your case, that may mean no roosters. But that is your decision.

There is a lot I don’t know about your situation, age, how much room they have, how you manage them, and many more things. In general, that behavior is not normal. It is normal for them to work out a pecking order and flock dominance when they are adolescents growing up in the flock, but if one is causing bleeding you have a dangerous situation. Chickens can be attracted to blood. They could easily kill another chickens pecking at the blood or wind up eating it alive.

I strongly suggest you keep that one cockerel away from the flock so he can’t cause damage like that. Whether you isolate him, get rid of him, or eat him is your choice, but your pullets are in danger with him behaving this way.

Back
Top Bottom