Roo or hen?

Chicken Bff

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2016
Missouri
i have a rir that is almost 3
months old and has around a 3/4 in comb and a 1/4 in waddels and info will be apriciated thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have 5 Black Australorps that will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. They were all supposed to be pullets but two have been slow to develop tail feathers and also have bigger combs that are pink and red plus are developing wattles. I've been suspecting for about 2 weeks now that I unfortunately ended up with two roosters
sad.png
They have even started sparring at this young age. The other 3 have very small yellow combs and developed tail feathers in their first week. They are all the same size and the "roosters" legs don't appear to be bigger than the hens.

I had a RIR rooster once that was really mean. Does anyone have any experience with Australorp roosters. I'm disappointed I don't have all hens. I got 5 chicks to add to my 11 chicken flock of 2 1/2 year old RIR and Barred Rock specifically to get more eggs.

If I keep a rooster and it breeds with my hens, will the hens hatch the eggs and tend to the baby chicks? I've heard BA's are supposed to be broody. If that's the case it beats raising baby chicks in the house for 6-8 weeks!

Is there a way to confirm at this young age that I got roosters?

Any advice is appreciated!

I have 5 Black Australorps that will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. They were all supposed to be pullets but two have been slow to develop tail feathers and also have bigger combs that are pink and red plus are developing wattles. I've been suspecting for about 2 weeks now that I unfortunately ended up with two roosters
sad.png
They have even started sparring at this young age. The other 3 have very small yellow combs and developed tail feathers in their first week. They are all the same size and the "roosters" legs don't appear to be bigger than the hens.

I had a RIR rooster once that was really mean. Does anyone have any experience with Australorp roosters. I'm disappointed I don't have all hens. I got 5 chicks to add to my 11 chicken flock of 2 1/2 year old RIR and Barred Rock specifically to get more eggs.

If I keep a rooster and it breeds with my hens, will the hens hatch the eggs and tend to the baby chicks? I've heard BA's are supposed to be broody. If that's the case it beats raising baby chicks in the house for 6-8 weeks!

Is there a way to confirm at this young age that I got roosters?

Any advice is appreciated!
Post pics and we should be able to sex them for you.

Here are the ones I suspect are roos. They are 7 weeks old. What do you guys think? I don't have much experience with roosters, I had a really mean RIR rooster that we had to get rid of because he kept attacking us and the hens. Not sure I want any roosters at all. That wasn't the plan...these chicks were supposed to all be pullets.

Thanks littlegreywolf for the upload instructions!

Back
Top Bottom