Roo Roo the Rooster Respiratory Stress and Smoke (Saint Augustine Florida)

RooRoosDad

Hatching
Jul 1, 2023
Hi everyone!

I have a mainly indoor roo who sounds like he has laryngitis, and has been making a bit funny noises (not quite wheezing) the last few days. Each day it's getting a bit smokier here....AQI about 100 at the moment. He's eating just a bit less, his crow sounds funny, and we literally run together on a long dock, but he gets a bit tired now...not winded, but tired. I tried to get him in to the avian vet, but they have a 2 week waiting list here (by Saint Augustine Florida).

First off, any thoughts? He was spending a bunch of time on the deck, but with very high heat, humidity and smoke, I kept him in all day yesterday, and am doing so today (he doesn't have a coop, but lives indoors like a dog or cat).

Lastly, he's a very social bird and travels with me to farmer's markets and other events, and gets lots of pets...could he have gotten something?

Here's Roo Roo the Rooster in the car with me yesterday, driving to the vet before they turned us around - said were too full for even an emergency.

VideoCapture_20230701-073044 (1).jpg

Smoke is bad for any living thing. We are also having smoke issues here from Canadian wildfires which are affecting people’s health. My advice would be to keep him inside an air conditioned room but not cold, until the smoke goes away. Chickens have a narrow airway, and he should not be out running or exerting himself when he cannot get enough oxygen. Hopefully, the smoke will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom