Roo suddenly lethargic/ dark purple comb

Kathryn4629

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
Edit: He is now in the house warming up. Didn't know what else to do.

Help!
I went to let the chickens out this morning and my beautiful Minorca roo is huddled in the corner with his feathers all puffed out. His comb is very very dark purple. Does not want to eat or drink.
I at first though that he had a bad fight with the other roo but I dont see any wounds. Not even a bloody comb. Then I thought that maybe he got kicked off the roost and got to cold last night, it was about 17 degrees.
I am wondering if I can bring him inside in a crate, or will the warmth shock him??

Advice??

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
*Black Minorca Roo. About 9 months old. Weight seems the same.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
* Lethargic this morning, Did not come out of coop. Hiding in corner. Puffed up feathers.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
* He was fine yesterday, other than a swollen eye from a fight with other roo. But was acting very normal, outside in the snow eating running pecking, etc...

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
* NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
*Swollen eye that is actually looking better.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I was thinking maybe a fight at first, but cant find any new wounds. Or maybe got to cold last night, the thermometer said 17 this morning. But all the other hens and roos are fine.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Organic feed, scratch, water. But is not currently eating.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Haven't seen him poo yet. But has no runny poo on feathers.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
He has been separated into the grain room with straw and water and feed.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat
completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself/ no vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No picture yet

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Enclosed coop, with ventatation, straw bedding, elevated roost, no supplematal heat. Its cold outside and we have snow. The chickens are outside in the snow all day eating and pecking.

Last edited:
He just died. DANG IT!!!!

Uhggg, Not to sound mean but he was the only roo I have that I would actually be sad about dying. I have 4 Minorca hens that he was going to breed this spring. Now I have no Minorca roo. Crap. Crap. Crap.

Back
Top Bottom