Roo with shriveled comb, should I worry?

blackfootfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Oregon
I have a roo that was given to me a couple of months ago. The guy told me that he was fairly young and that his comb would pop out eventually. Well its been 2 months and its still the same. I don't know if I should worry or if this is pretty common. What do you all think?? here is a pic of him:

6728_1124351751723_1314998917_30379921_2933978_n.jpg

He looks fine to me. The comb will depend on what breed he is, or what breeds he is a mix of, and I don't have the knowledge to help with this.

His comb isn't shriveled - that's just the type of comb that type of rooster is supposed to have. You're probably expecting a large straight comb (like foghorn leghorn), but some breeds have rose combs, pea combs, etc (which can look quite different than what you were expecting).

Ohh good I was worried he is a barnvelver-ameracuana mix, is what I was told. He seems very healthy in every other way, and I wanted chicks out of him and my ameracuana hens. Thanks for the compliments, I will pass them on!
wink.png
big_smile.png
I was really expecting his comb to be larger than it is, it just looks squashed to me!

rimshoes, thanks for the sites they did help quite a bit! very informative.
I don't feel so worried now, because I was thinking, what if this is a bad trait and it is passed on to the chicks......but now I know he fits his name : Hansome

Back
Top Bottom