Roof for Bunny Shed

balloonflower

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Hey! So, I'm working on a bunny shed out of free pallets. Have the sides up, and now need to figure a roof. I'm voting for a metal roof. DH thinks we should look at using the clear plastic corrugated to let in light. I'm worried about greenhouse effect in summer, plus don't want to sunburn rabbit fur. I am assuming that it may need lighting put in if we go with solid roof. Was planning on stapling burlap to the pallets for winter to stop snow from blowing in, but removing in summer for better ventilation. Any opinions/experience?

We started mid summer, then time slipped away, plus we keep arguing about the roof. And couldn't find the right size metal panels for a while too. So, open back because the house overhang will protect there. There are two doorways, one that I will be solidly blocking on the north for winter. Eventually will probably put real doors in, but for now probably a curtain on south. Silver Fox adult rabbits can handle the temps, so I just need to block rain/sun.
IMG_20171027_1745365_rewind.jpg

This is the googled pic that we kind of based off of--also my basis for roof framing.
15091485097392118491084.png

What part of the country or world do you live in? What are the winter snow loads like? You might want to keep that in mind when doing the roof. You might need more of a slant than your prototype picture shows, or maybe you live in an area with no snow (lucky you if so!!) and it might not be a concern but it sure is for me. :) We've been putting up winter shelters and doing a little roofing the last few weeks, and because I dislike doing something over and over, I always want it very sturdy so I don't have to go back and fix it. If it were me, I'd go for the metal. ;)

I'm in Denver burbs. We do get snow, but generally doesn't stick around for long. We did consider a more pitched roof, but since we wanted to go under the overhang, it would have dropped the front rather low. So, if we do get a bunch, it's small enough and low enough to clear pretty easy.

I'm pretty sold on the metal, but wondered if anyone would vote plastic. I'm worried about hail with it--I know it says it holds a lots, but we occasionally get nasty storms!

I think that using the metal would be more worth the time with what you are doing, and it will probably look better than the plastic.
I know from experience that rabbits won't care as long as they can eat, sleep, and poop. Lol. My rabbits are indoors but could care less where they 'lived'

Back
Top Bottom