Metal or PVC roofing on chicken run

Mplschx

Hatching
May 11, 2023
I'm building a run for my chickens. We are wanting to use clear roofing for a portion of the run so they get some light in there. However the other portion we are unsure about. I know corrugated metal roofing is recommended but the lean of this roof will be facing directly toward my neighbors window and I don't want to blind them with the reflection. Would a solid color pvc work instead?

It will be easier to match up profiles if you stick with all one material. That said, pricing is similar, but metal lasts much longer. For that reason, most of us go with metal.
the darker your PVC, the longer it will last (has to do with UV light), but of course the hotter it will get. Not that PVC roofing radiates a lot of heat, but because as PVC heats up it expands, and as it cools it shrinks - considerably more than many other materials. That increases risks of cracking and leaks. Makes proper instalation more important.

Take your time, pre-drill your holes, use the right screws, don't set them too deep - or too loose.

Wave profile is easiest to match up, and most available. Be sure to set your polycarbonate on TOP of your metal. Both sides. Will make it easier to replace 5-8 years down the road.

I've used corrugated metal on runs in the past and found they make it much hotter in the run and floor than pvc, or a wooden frame, plywood and shingles. However corrugated metal cools faster once the sun is off of it where the wooden framed/shingled roof holds heat much longer. If you live in a place with a lot of clouds and rain, I'd go with the metal, it's so easy to install. It does fade overtime so it shouldn't put off too much glare. If you live where there is a lot of heat and sun, I'd go with the PVC or a standard roof with shingles.

I've used corrugated metal on runs in the past and found they make it much hotter in the run and floor than a wooden frame, plywood and shingles. However corrugated metal cools faster once the sun is off of it where the wooden framed/shingled roof holds heat much longer. If you live in a place with a lot of clouds and rain, I'd go with the metal, it's so easy to install. It does fade overtime so it shouldn't put off too much glare. If you live where there is a lot of heat and sun, I'd go with the PVC or a standard roof with shingles.
^This is correct. I average over an inch of rainfall a week. Also, I'm in "sunny" Florida.

Took a thermometer to test radiant heat. 6" away from the roof, with proper ventilation, there is less than two degrees of difference between ambiant air temp and measured air temp in my builds. At 1' distance, there is no measurable difference - in my biggest build its actually cooler than ambient, and generating its own convection pattern.

That's at 88 degrees. I **ASSUME** It would be much the same at 110, but I'm not in TX anymore, and don't dare consider AZ or NM, where it can be hotter still.

This year when we hit high 90s at similar humidity in advance of a storm front while the skies are still clear, I plan to test it again.

Hopefuly, someone with medium color shingles (tans, greys, or greens) will perform a similar experiment. I know the result in a TX attic - the shingles did NOT fare well - but in spite of all effort, I couldn't get the airflow I wanted.

^This is correct. I average over an inch of rainfall a week. Also, I'm in "sunny" Florida.

Took a thermometer to test radiant heat. 6" away from the roof, with proper ventilation, there is less than two degrees of difference between ambiant air temp and measured air temp in my builds. At 1' distance, there is no measurable difference - in my biggest build its actually cooler than ambient, and generating its own convection pattern.

That's at 88 degrees. I **ASSUME** It would be much the same at 110, but I'm not in TX anymore, and don't dare consider AZ or NM, where it can be hotter still.

This year when we hit high 90s at similar humidity in advance of a storm front while the skies are still clear, I plan to test it again.

Hopefuly, someone with medium color shingles (tans, greys, or greens) will perform a similar experiment. I know the result in a TX attic - the shingles did NOT fare well - but in spite of all effort, I couldn't get the airflow I wanted.
I've got reddish brown shingles on my roof, the slant faces east. So at least the south facing summer sun isn't beating down on the roof. But the attic in the coop gets pretty darn hot. I've got vents all along both the high side and the low side of the slant and I point a big fan at the ceiling to push the air out the top vents. I've never actually measured the temp difference between the floor and ceiling but it's got to be 15 degrees different on a day without a breeze.

I've got reddish brown shingles on my roof, the slant faces east. So at least the south facing summer sun isn't beating down on the roof. But the attic in the coop gets pretty darn hot. I've got vents all along both the high side and the low side of the slant and I point a big fan at the ceiling to push the air out the top vents. I've never actually measured the temp difference between the floor and ceiling but it's got to be 15 degrees different on a day without a breeze.
In that case, Metal roofing might outperform shingles. We'll have to do an experiment. NOT this week. I have 50/50 thunderstorms all the next 10 days,

In that case, Metal roofing might outperform shingles. We'll have to do an experiment. NOT this week. I have 50/50 thunderstorms all the next 10 days,
Definitely, let's do a test! We too have cool air and t-storms all this coming week. We can wait until it's roasting hot later this month. :D

Back
Top Bottom