Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Cover with metal

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Cover with clear poly

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Other

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
I voted for metal roof because I live where its hot and humid also, with the sides open there's no extra heat from roof. my girls get plenty of light even though coop is nestled in among many trees. I started with poly carb roof and after a couple years it was cracked in multiple places from branches and acorns dropping on it. It did become brittle and fall apart also, lots of leaks. Hate the idea of no roof at all, the chickens seeing the predators looking down at them would cause all kinds of stress in the flock! You could probably plant in the run if you protected the plants with hardware cloth around base and up a bit so the chickens couldn't scratch up roots or eat so much of plant that it can't survive.

This is not true unless you made a green roof on top of it (sedum or grasses). Under a metal roof heat always accumulates. Keeping it open on two sides is great ventilation so the heat just won’t accumulate much.
Technically you may be right, but with my coop open on all four sides and 8 foot height inside coop there is no accumulation of heat inside the coop unless I close up sides for winter when I want to keep some heat in and drafts out. Hot summers/cold winters here. Can go over 100* frequently in the summer with high humidity, and the coop is always at least 10* cooler than outside. Air movement and lots of deep shade from the deciduous trees is the key, and who cares if those trees drop their leaves on that metal roof! Lol Winter time sunlight can hit that metal roof and warm it up, but at that height it doesn't accumulate enough to increase the temp inside the coop even when its in negative degrees. Wish it did.

I started with poly carb roof and after a couple years it was cracked in multiple places from branches and acorns dropping on it. It did become brittle and fall apart also, lots of leaks.
Was this actually a polycarbonate roof, or was it PVC? Poly roof panels are designed (and usually manufacturer warranted, if installed per their specs) to hold up to things dropping on them, to not get brittle from UV, etc...especially just in a couple years. It's usually the PVC panels that have all of those problems.

Technically you may be right, but with my coop open on all four sides and 8 foot height inside coop there is no accumulation of heat inside the coop unless I close up sides for winter when I want to keep some heat in and drafts out. Hot summers/cold winters here. Can go over 100* frequently in the summer with high humidity, and the coop is always at least 10* cooler than outside. Air movement and lots of deep shade from the deciduous trees is the key, and who cares if those trees drop their leaves on that metal roof! Lol Winter time sunlight can hit that metal roof and warm it up, but at that height it doesn't accumulate enough to increase the temp inside the coop even when its in negative degrees. Wish it did.
This is consistent with my expeirence, though my highs are merely high 90s.

There IS a measurable (positive) heat difference a few inches from the panel on the underside, but its literally just a couple inches and only a couple degrees. Everything further from the roof panel is either ambient air temp or cooler (from the shade).- though I don't see 10 degree differences typically.

I took readings earlier this year. Will do it again now, we have an almost cloudless sky ATM, panels have been in full sun all day.

/Edit -

Outside temp, 82.6, winds 10-15, gusting higher.

Coop roof temp, 95.8 maybe .9, it was waffling a bit

Inside coop (4.5" from underside of metal - thickness of a 1x4 plus a 2x4 long) 84.5, call that 2 degrees.

Inside coop at chicken level (greater than 36" below roof), 82.7

Temp at ground/floor, 82.0

Last edited:
Was this actually a polycarbonate roof, or was it PVC? Poly roof panels are designed (and usually manufacturer warranted, if installed per their specs) to hold up to things dropping on them, to not get brittle from UV, etc...especially just in a couple years. It's usually the PVC panels that have all of those problems.
Husband says it was poly carb

i've put Suntuf polycarbonate roofing from home depot on two coops now and have had no issues. The first one was put on 8 years ago and hasn't shown any issues. The most recent was done earlier this year but is still going strong. We have some trees providing a little shade but I have NEVER been in there and felt it was hotter than ambient temperature (i.e., an oven). In fact, I'd say it's probably a little cooler at the height of the day but again, the overlying oak tree provides just a little shade. If i have to replace it in 10-15 years I'll curse because it'll be a pain but not i'd still look fondly on the decision. My last comment on this would be keeping the run dry is of utmost importance in my opinion. People hate the word moist for a reason...

55DA617E-6C87-4C8A-8BB5-745C249B641C_1_105_c.jpeg
7EF4388D-6B66-4EF6-B0B1-27E2630BD4F4_1_105_c.jpeg

20230428_183519.jpg
My 1st coop since I was a kid.been some changes since this pic. But the Girls seem to be comfortable. Plus they free range most of the day. Plan on some Coop upgrades soon. Have netting and chicken wire over top.

i've put Suntuf polycarbonate roofing from home depot on two coops now and have had no issues. The first one was put on 8 years ago and hasn't shown any issues. The most recent was done earlier this year but is still going strong. We have some trees providing a little shade but I have NEVER been in there and felt it was hotter than ambient temperature (i.e., an oven). In fact, I'd say it's probably a little cooler at the height of the day but again, the overlying oak tree provides just a little shade. If i have to replace it in 10-15 years I'll curse because it'll be a pain but not i'd still look fondly on the decision. My last comment on this would be keeping the run dry is of utmost importance in my opinion. People hate the word moist for a reason...

View attachment 3654608View attachment 3654609
I agree with that! So that's why everyone despises that word....

Back
Top Bottom