Roos

mama2my4

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Julian, PA
I knew I would end up with some, and I knew they couldn't stay. But I didn't realized how attached to the little buggers I would get! I have one SS that I know is a roo and 1 that I know is a pullet. I still have 2 I am not 100% sure of (75% sure they are roos...). And then I have 5 BLRW that I am not sure of a all.

So my question is, what do I do with them??

well, my plan was to have all pullets, of course!
fl.gif

My first rooster was an "accidental" one. He is the dominant rooster in my flock now. (And has been for two years.) I have had - and still have - other roosters in the flock, too, but they are subservient to the dominant roo.

It got so I had far too many roosters and I had to re-home some, so I chose the banty roosters (the noisiest ones) to find new homes for them. Oh, and one LF rooster I gave to a gal starting her own flock with 3 of my hens.... she got a rooster with them. The banties all went to the same farm along with 3 hens.

But I still have six roosters in a flock of about 50 chickens. No fighting, they all get along. Carl is the Boss of them all, and I am the Boss of him.

Roosters are wonderful to have in a larger flock.... and one rooster in a small flock is also good, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, if you're living where you are not allowed to have roosters, then you will have to decide what to do with him/them.

Some folks process their extra roos.. if they're dual purpose breeds....

I intentionaly ordered 4 roos out of the 16 ordered. The best rooster will stay and tend the flock. The other 3 will go in the freezer. 12 hens 1 rooster seems like a good mix.

Back
Top Bottom