Roost and Mites

fairie

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Germany
We are rebuilding and fighting a retched infestation of mites. They hide at the end of the roost bars (in under and at the ends where it attaches to the wall).
I would love tips, photos or links of your roost bars that inhibit these rotten bloodsuckers. We need a new plan. I am Painting and sanding all wood today.

You will not be successful in getting rid of mites by sanding and painting.

First confirm what type of mites you have: Northern live on the bird; Red live off the bird and feed only at night. I have read that Red mites are detected by paper towel wiped along the underside of the roost bar.

If you have red mites you will need to empty the coop completely and spray with Permethrin so that every crack and crevice is soaked. Permethrin kills only live mites so 3 weekly treatments are needed to kill newly hatched mites.

There are other stronger more expensive poisons if Permethrin dies not work in your case.

Good luck.

Last edited:
They hide at the end of the roost bars (in under and at the ends where it attaches to the wall).
Definitely sounds like red roost mites.
If you have red mites you will need to empty the coop completely and spray with Permethrin so that every crack and crevise is soaked. Permethrin kills only live mites so 3 weekly treatments are needed to kill newly hatched mites.
So this^^^

Hi I have been fighting these terrible things RED MITES 100% for over a year. Renovating the coop will help lower places where the mites can hide during the day.

The current issue is they hide up against the wall where the roost are attached. I find them there in piles that fall out of the wall like water in flowing disgusting swells of blood filled bodies. YUMM RED MITES!!!

I want to stop this issue of them having places to hide.
I am also using oil on all flat surfaces and in the nest boxes which are plastic and on the water dispenser and on the rope that hangs the water dispenser.

I have use bombs 4 times. I oil the birds and dust them but these freaking mites keep finding places to hide from me.

I have use bombs 4 times. I oil the birds and dust them but these freaking mites keep finding places to hide from me.
What kind of bombs and oil?

I want to stop this issue of them having places to hide.
You'll need to soak these places with permethrin spray.
If you're rebuilding, caulking the join areas will help.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1651664775492.png

Bombs aren't good enough.
Get permethrin to spray, weekly for no less than 3 weeks, into a the cracks of the coop.

I personally with spray every 5 days for a month straight.

You can buy the permethrin in the concentrated form and mix it yourself with water or you can buy a product like one of these two below that is already mixed and ready to use. Extremely easy.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...Xt80ZN_hFQ5ntn3L09YiroCE9yJSqkTQaAqpQEALw_wcB

The most important part is to continue treating weekly to make sure you end the life cycle of the bugs before they can lay more eggs to hatch and repeat the cycle.
It takes multiple treatments and if you skip one treatment you must start all over.
Screenshot_20220504-065142.png
Screenshot_20220504-065128.png

Get permethrin to spray, weekly for no less than 3 weeks, into a the cracks of the coop.

You can buy the permethrin in the concentrated form and mix it yourself with water or you can buy a product like one of these two below that is already mixed and ready to use. Extremely easy.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...Xt80ZN_hFQ5ntn3L09YiroCE9yJSqkTQaAqpQEALw_wcB

The most important part is to continue treating weekly to make sure you end the life cycle of the bugs before they can lay more eggs to hatch and repeat the cycle.
It takes multiple treatments and if you skip one treatment you must start all over.View attachment 3091628View attachment 3091629

What kind of bombs and oil?

You'll need to soak these places with permethrin spray.
If you're rebuilding, caulking the join areas will help.

Great tips! Thank you.
I am in Germany. But honestly, this has been an issue since last year the whole season.I think it started with a hen that we got as a gift. Yes, a whole year of this terror. We lost 2 chickens along the way. I thought I had it under control then....sad. I have also wormed them 2x's.
BOMB: was from the local feed store specifically for mites. I used it weeks apart to stop the life cycle. I have a feeling that they are coming over with the straw, that's a problem. And that I just have not gotten rid of all of them. I have had chickens for over 10 years and never had mites. This is a nightmare, 2nd year in spring with no chicks and no eggs from 6 hens (now minus the 2 who died).
OIL: Baristols animal oil I greased up the hens legs and their (featherless) tummies, the whole water container, the nest boxes, the food container (everywhere where the mites could hide in corners.

The spray sounds good. I made one last year in the summer it seemed to help. Was some crazy concoction of etheric oils, garlic, water and magic. I will see what they have at our local feed store for horses.

Caluking sounds great.
Also a friend mentioned to me tonight about using double sided tape on the roost bars, change it every day but it traps the nasty beasts and they can not get to the hens.

So tomorrow is painting and air drying then Friday they can go back in. Double sided tape everywhere and greased up hens.

I still do not have a solution of how to hang the roost bars......

Thanks KIKI. I Bought a spray here that comes out of the airosole can WHITE. I sprayed it on eveything (not the hens) the walls, the cracks in the floor, the roosting bars, the nest boxes ect. It worked well in conjunction with the 2 bombs. I also was diligent with the magic juice i made up (following some other chicken ladies recipe) and sprayed the hens and dusted them every other day. This is a rotten battle between me and these horrid creatures. When I first realized what was happenign the chickens were covered in mites so bad they were crawling on me too.

Now it is not so bad but ehy are all molting so it's a combined bad time all around. I will see what I can find at the Feed Store for horses and spray the hens and dust them again every other day once the hosue is remodeled.

Back
Top Bottom