Roost Material and Height

Stink

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
Vermont, USA
Hey Guys! I'm currently in the process in making a coop for my 12 chickens and am wondering how to make the roost. I'd prefer a taller roost but am thinking on making it 3 feet high. I do plan on having poop boards underneath as well. My main question though is what I should use for the actual roost. I'm currently think a 2x4 is the best option, but am wondering if I should have it so the chickens are sitting on the 2" part or the 4" part of the wood. Which is better? Or is a thick branch better? Also, any thoughts on the height? Curious to know!

Hey Guys! I'm currently in the process in making a coop for my 12 chickens and am wondering how to make the roost. I'd prefer a taller roost but am thinking on making it 3 feet high. I do plan on having poop boards underneath as well. My main question though is what I should use for the actual roost. I'm currently think a 2x4 is the best option, but am wondering if I should have it so the chickens are sitting on the 2" part or the 4" part of the wood. Which is better? Or is a thick branch better? Also, any thoughts on the height? Curious to know!
First, all of your chickens will try to get to the highest roost. I used 2" by 3"'s. Chickens sit on the 3 inch side. The 2-inch side is not wide enough. A flat surface is better than a round surface so that they can sit on their feet to keep them warm.

I use a thick branch. It's hard the clean, but it works.
If you use the 2×4, just make sure whichever side you use, the chickens could cover their feet with their feathers when roosting, it never gets below freezing where you live.
The height is a matter of a lot of things. The biggest factor is how high your coop is. You generally want at least two feet above the roost. Other than that, it also depends on how high your chickens can easily jump. For example, Anconas prefer a high roost, in part because they fly well. On the other hand, Cochins cant really handle more than about a foot.
Good luck!

Within reason chickens don't really care about if the 2" is up, 4" is up, or if you use a branch. As long as the roost is an acceptable material (wood) and not too narrow, they'll prioritize location of roost over how you have the plank/branch oriented.

I have my roosts at a single level over poop boards. I set the boards at counter height (34") and the roosts 13" over the boards. No stooping or stretching to reach the birds on the roost and it puts them at an easy height for quick physicals.
There is a ramp up to the boards then they walk along the boards to find a spot on the roosts then hop up.
I had 2x4s wide side up for roosts but it was easier for the birds to jostle each other off. I ripped the 2x4s in half then rounded off the corners. They seem to prefer them this way.
Braches work fine too but the rougher surface makes scraping poops off harder to do.
I have branches for perches in the run.

I use a thick branch. It's hard the clean, but it works.
If you use the 2×4, just make sure whichever side you use, the chickens could cover their feet with their feathers when roosting, it never gets below freezing where you live.
The height is a matter of a lot of things. The biggest factor is how high your coop is. You generally want at least two feet above the roost. Other than that, it also depends on how high your chickens can easily jump. For example, Anconas prefer a high roost, in part because they fly well. On the other hand, Cochins cant really handle more than about a foot.
Good luck!
Thanks so much! Luckily height won’t be a problem as our chicken coop is well over 6ft tall. Its actually a straw bale construction coop, so it’s very well insulated as well with the straw and plaster. As far as I’ve researched too my chickens should be able to get up 3 ft and be able to perch. fingers crossed it’ll all work out!

My girls like the wide part of 2x4. And I use a 2x2 for a roost bar out in the run and a 4x4 for a swing. Chickens walk flat footed and don't rap a foot like a song bird that perches more than walks. My roost is one, two, three feet off my poop board and 14"a part.

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 22
  • vvv.jpg
    vvv.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21
  • SSPX1004.JPG
    SSPX1004.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SSPX1014.JPG
    SSPX1014.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks so much for all of your insight! We've settled on 3 inch boards for the width of the roost and they're slightly above 3 feet.

Back
Top Bottom