Roost Suggestions

MWright936

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Below is a photo of the inside of my coop. When I designed the roost, I didn't know the dimensions I needed. As you can see, the girls are pretty cramped on that top rung. My coop has a sloped roof, the exit to the run to the right, nest boxes to the left, and the doors I have open have large, screened openings. Any suggestions for redesigning a roost that would give the girls more room and not block the exit or nest boxes? I also wouldn't want to put them too close to the doors since they would be against the open screen and would get cold in the winter. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Sorry for the duplicate post. I got an error and reposted not knowing it already posted. I'm not sure how to delete....

Take that rost out and put a new one in, leave it at the same height and simply extend the new one and turn it out away from the left hand side of the wall more.

Yes, that is a pretty tiny roost bar area. I would pull that out of there and add a 2x4, mounted with the 4 side up. Make sure there aren't any sharp edges or splinters sticking up. Each bird should have at least 1 foot of space per bird. The roost bar doesn't have to be high off the ground either as they don't HAVE to roost up high. Especially in colder climates, the lower the roost bar, the farther away from the moist air they are.

Good luck!

Below is a photo of the inside of my coop. When I designed the roost, I didn't know the dimensions I needed. As you can see, the girls are pretty cramped on that top rung. My coop has a sloped roof, the exit to the run to the right, nest boxes to the left, and the doors I have open have large, screened openings. Any suggestions for redesigning a roost that would give the girls more room and not block the exit or nest boxes? I also wouldn't want to put them too close to the doors since they would be against the open screen and would get cold in the winter. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!

Best to have 1 foot of roost length per bird..... looks like that might just fit in there(4 ft coop and 4 birds?),
put it just above the nest and across to opposite wall...should be a foot away from parallel wall.

Back
Top Bottom