roost to roof

Those small coops problematic. The roosts are usually just an inch or two off the ground and sleeping in the nest boxes can be a real issue. They are also seriously lacking in ventilation. They aren't very well built, and tend to start to fall apart after a season or two. And they aren't very predator resistant.

Im not buying this one but i like the idea of it. Remove that nest box side and create an open meshed wall add a lean too roof tallest side on run side with a 3" ventilation panel at the top of the tallest wall. Then add 2 large access doors 1 on either side of the coop for easy cleaning make the coop section 4x4ft and 3.5ft on tallest wall and 3ft on opposite wall then i could do what i planned originally would that work?

Make sure you have a large enough roof overhang to keep rain out, and use hardware cloth, not chicken wire. Those are biggies. Latches need to be secured with either a padlock/combination lock or carabiner. Even urban areas have racoons, and they are very smart and strong.

Make sure you have a large enough roof overhang to keep rain out, and use hardware cloth, not chicken wire. Those are biggies. Latches need to be secured with either a padlock/combination lock or carabiner. Even urban areas have racoons, and they are very smart and strong. 

I dont think raccoons are a problem here in Australia? Maybe just snakes and hawks or foxes
How much of an overhang do i need to add?

Back
Top Bottom