Roost

roweys

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2015
Devon, England
Hi guys
Recently perchased 3chickens, we've had 2 lovely eggs in the first two days and 1soft shell egg today. (Hopefully this won't happen again)

I've made a roosting post for my chickens in the house but they seem to go in the nesting boxes at night, last night I put them on the roosting post but the jumped off one by one...did I do something wrong or will they go up there on there own?
Thanks

Hello & welcome, Difficult little buggers aren't they? Just like kids.........anyway - persist gently. Keep putting them up on the roost perch, eventually they should get the idea. How old are they?
Are you adding calcium to their diet? It should help with the soft shells.

Thank for your speedy reply, bed time for them now and luckily they followed the lead after I but the Bovans Nera on the roost.

Calcium? Shall I give them a glass of milk before bed? Haha how do I get Calcium in their diet?

Regards

Thank for your speedy reply, bed time for them now and luckily they followed the lead after I but the Bovans Nera on the roost.

Calcium? Shall I give them a glass of milk before bed? Haha how do I get Calcium in their diet?

Regards

Nah! They have trouble with the straw........
wink.png
You can buy ground oyster shell and serve it separate from their feed. I also bake my used egg shells (kills salmonella),very low heat for about 20-30 mins. crush and return to the hens. Doesn't have to be finely crushed, but mangled enough so they don't recognise it as an egg. Have fun with your birds, they are great therapy and cheep too!
smile.png

Feed them Layer feed - it will contain what they need to produce good eggs - a side container of crushed oyster shell is great - if they need more calcium, they will take some.

Welcome to BYC!

Crushed oyster shell is great to have available to them at all times (they'll eat it when they feel the need). Another way of getting them more calcium is by treating them with dark greens, like broccoli or yogurt (plain) or cottage cheese. You don't want their treats to be more than 10% of their daily feed intake but once in a while, it's nice for them to get something new.

Here's a list of good things you can treat your chickens with:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Have fun with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom