Rooster acting strange?

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hi! One of my roosters is acting strange. He limping like he has bumble foot, but he doesn’t have it I checked. He’ll only move if I nudge him, or if we throw food on the ground for him to peck at. When he’s not moving he’ll stand there with his mouth open, and he’s lower to the ground than usual. When he moves he has to stick out his wings to balance himself. The last pic is him next to his brother. He is normally as tall as his brother. Do you know what’s wrong with him? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Has he been injured somehow?

Separate him out and see that he's drinking and eating well, look him over for lice/mites and make sure his crop is emptying overnight.
Get some photos of his overnight droppings.

Has he been injured somehow?

Separate him out and see that he's drinking and eating well, look him over for lice/mites and make sure his crop is emptying overnight.
Get some photos of his overnight droppings.
Ok, I’ll definitely check for lice and mites. I’ll post some pics when I go out to feed my chickens.

He had lice, and we immediately put DE all over him. But that doesn’t explain the limping. His poop was normal, I don’t have a pic because I accidentally left my camera inside.

He had lice, and we immediately put DE all over him. But that doesn’t explain the limping. His poop was normal, I don’t have a pic because I accidentally left my camera inside.
When you can, get some photos of his legs and feet.

If he has a lice infestation, it would be best to get a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust and treat him. It's a very good idea to go ahead and treat the rest of the flock and their housing/coop too. DE is not effective against an infestation.

Since he's poorly, giving him a direct dose of poultry vitamins for a few days each week may be beneficial as well.

Feet pics

Attachments

• E9B21561-DEB8-4DE0-98ED-10C2732C9AC0.jpeg
    E9B21561-DEB8-4DE0-98ED-10C2732C9AC0.jpeg
    776.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 57F45A2B-FAE2-4178-BB66-E5C191EDF844.jpeg
    57F45A2B-FAE2-4178-BB66-E5C191EDF844.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 6A9CE46F-F1BB-48CA-AB6B-ACE6B29774A2.jpeg
    6A9CE46F-F1BB-48CA-AB6B-ACE6B29774A2.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 9
I missed it in the very first photo, does he have a scuff on the right back toe and spur?

Do you have comparison photos that you may be able to look back on and see if there's tale tell signs of a slow decline .

1652065358956.jpeg

Hi! One of my roosters is acting strange. He limping like he has bumble foot, but he doesn’t have it I checked. He’ll only move if I nudge him, or if we throw food on the ground for him to peck at. When he’s not moving he’ll stand there with his mouth open, and he’s lower to the ground than usual. When he moves he has to stick out his wings to balance himself. The last pic is him next to his brother. He is normally as tall as his brother. Do you know what’s wrong with him? Thanks!
Poor guy! Hopefully it's something minor. Can we gets pics of bottom of feet?

Back
Top Bottom