Rooster and 2yr old son

ash_en_em

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2018
Northeast Ohio
My "accidental" cockrel is 4 1/2 months old. One of the girls just started laying, and soon after he decided he was going to side step at my son. I quickly gave him a swift tap with my chicken boots (the cockrel, not my son) and he calmed down about it until today. We began walking toward the house and I heard feet behind us. I quickly turned around and saw my cockrel side stepping toward my sons back. I again have him a swift boot. He's now giving my son the side eye and following him around. I feel like he's waiting for his chance.

After the first incident, my son is now nervous around my cockrel. I am pretty sure my cockrel knows this.

My question is, should we try to wait this out, or find another route for my cockrel?

If I could keep him, I would like to since he is great with my pullets. He showed them how to make a nest, keeps them safe, and even corrals them into the coop if he knows a storm is coming. The downside is I've heard this behavior doesn't typically get better. I've read beekissed's rooster speak post, and have read countless other posts about roosters. The only thing I don't really follow is I do toss out treats. I let him eat those with me around.

Guess I'm just looking to see what you seasoned chicken keepers think. Should I ride this out and hope it gets better, or turn to other options?

TIA

My "accidental" cockrel is 4 1/2 months old. One of the girls just started laying, and soon after he decided he was going to side step at my son. I quickly gave him a swift tap with my chicken boots (the cockrel, not my son) and he calmed down about it until today. We began walking toward the house and I heard feet behind us. I quickly turned around and saw my cockrel side stepping toward my sons back. I again have him a swift boot. He's now giving my son the side eye and following him around. I feel like he's waiting for his chance.

After the first incident, my son is now nervous around my cockrel. I am pretty sure my cockrel knows this.

My question is, should we try to wait this out, or find another route for my cockrel?

If I could keep him, I would like to since he is great with my pullets. He showed them how to make a nest, keeps them safe, and even corrals them into the coop if he knows a storm is coming. The downside is I've heard this behavior doesn't typically get better. I've read beekissed's rooster speak post, and have read countless other posts about roosters. The only thing I don't really follow is I do toss out treats. I let him eat those with me around.

Guess I'm just looking to see what you seasoned chicken keepers think. Should I ride this out and hope it gets better, or turn to other options?

TIA
Was he coming to attack or like he wanted to mate with your son? Either one is bad, but the "mating" issue would probably solve itself in 6 months. If he is trying to attack your son, I would cull him IMMEDIATELY. I cull any bird that shows human aggression, especially towards kids. I have a 2 year old as well and can't afford it. I'll be bringing my son into the pen with me soon and giving him a stick to keep the roosters away.

Was he coming to attack or like he wanted to mate with your son? Either one is bad, but the "mating" issue would probably solve itself in 6 months. If he is trying to attack your son, I would cull him IMMEDIATELY. I cull any bird that shows human aggression, especially towards kids. I have a 2 year old as well and can't afford it. I'll be bringing my son into the pen with me soon and giving him a stick to keep the roosters away.
My personal thoughts are to cull, also. The mating idea is a possibility too though, I didn't think of that! I keep my turkeys locked up permanently for just this reason, one of my Toms will try to mate with anything.

I don't think it was mating. I've seen him dance for the girls, this was not the same. He almost seemed like huge was trying to sneak attack my son this time...

I don't think it was mating. I've seen him dance for the girls, this was not the same. He almost seemed like huge was trying to sneak attack my son this time...
I'd cull immediately and try to find someone who is trying to give away an older rooster (over 1 year) that is used to kids.

I'd cull immediately and try to find someone who is trying to give away an older rooster (over 1 year) that is used to kids.
That was my other thing too, will my girls want a roo now that they've been around one? Or will they figure it out? I don't need a rooster. I don't plan on hatching. I just liked how he kept the girls in order.

Back
Top Bottom