rooster appears to have spit on his eye

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
The front corner of his eye has a big ball of spit on it. I'm posting a pic, but the ball of spit is about half the size it was before I went off to find the camera. He seems ok, and is more perturbed by my harassing him with the camera than he seems about his eye.

roo-spit-eye-1.jpg

A Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen hatched out some eggs for us in July, 2 have been eaten by predators, and the remaining 8, 7 are roosters who are now a little more than 6 months old. So there is quite a bit of fighting going on in the yard. I'm obviously trying to place the roosters, not as easy task, but I think this guy has gotten hurt in the fray. What should I do about this? Did someone poke his eye? Do I need to get something to put on it?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sioux

Last edited:
I think (but I'm not sure) that this symptom goes along with coryza...he also appears to have swollen eyes...?

wipe the mucus off..could be an eye infection from being pecked.
try washing the eye with saline eye wash..
apply terramycin eye ointment 2 or 3 times a day..

other possibilities..
eye worm
respiratory illness
infected sinuses

check for swelling, and wheezing.

describe his droppings..color and consistency
is he eating and drinking as usual?
does he act ill?
he looks "droopy"..
may need an antibiotic for respiratory illness and/or sinuses....
separate and keep warm..give extra protein..such as cooked egg..
and vitamins..poultry vitamins if you have them..if not..Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins Enfamil brand if possible..no iron...give 3 drops once a day on beak..then taper off for a week.

siouxbee

I would agree with sammie, you should seperate him from the rest...you could use a tie cord on one of his legs...if you dont have any place to put him...tie cord and shelter...just an idea...after you rinse with saline...try to compress with warm water...do you medicate? if so, what do you use?

Back
Top Bottom