Rooster attack, but maybe he had a good reason? Next steps? How would you interpret his behavior?

FunClucks

Crowing
Apr 8, 2022
North Alabama
So, I have Speckle, a RIR/RIR-mix/production red rooster. He's 8-9 months old and at least 10 lbs, maybe larger. The rest of my birds are maybe 6 lbs tops.

Speckle has never shown me any sign of aggression. I generally walk through him, and am pretty hands off, unless I need to inspect him for some reason. He walks out of my way, and is not interested in staying close, but if I make a point of picking him up, he'll let me. He's never tried to bite or attack me, or postured at me. I've wrapped him in a towel, administered dewormer, washed, dried, and applied Nu-stock to his feet, checked for lice and mites, etc. His spurs are coming up on 3/4" long and as big around as my pinky. He's not aggressive with the hens, likes to mate a fair bit, and doesn't crow too much.

My son and I share chicken chores, and occasionally my husband. My son is ten, and somewhat small. The nest boxes are on the ground, so one has to get really low and small to check for eggs. This put my son below the level of Speckle's head. About a month or two ago, Speckle tried to peck/attack him, and my son kicked or hit him back. I think Speckle was trying to see if he could be in charge of my son, and my son won that interaction.

For the next week or so my son brought a stick into the enclosed coop/run with him when checking eggs, etc. (He had like a broomstick at first, and then it was a piece of quarter round - not something that would actually hurt the rooster) Only once he used it when Speckle got close, and Speckle ran away as soon as he saw the stick after that. After a week or so, my son didn't bring the stick in anymore, and Speckle still left him alone, got out of his way when my son was walking, etc. No signs of aggression that we could see. So I figured that Speckle learned that my son was not to be messed with. This was a few months ago. I warned my son not to make a pet of him, but he's generally been more interested in petting Speckle and getting close to him than I've been. Since the attack, I've had him make sure to wear jeans and safety glasses when visiting the coop, and be more aware of where Speckle is before he bends over to do chores.

I have a daughter a few years younger, slightly smaller than my son, who feeds the chickens grass through the wall of the run, and is out there quite a bit and has been for their whole lives. I told her she was finally big enough to go in and collect eggs. I was right behind her, but didn't anticipate any problems, after all, she was familiar to the chickens. She walked into the coop/run, and Speckle ran up and started crowing, biting, and spurring her. I raced in, kicked him away at once, used a mad voice, and Speckle ran off. He hovered in the corner crowing in agitation while I kept an eye on him and comforted my daughter. She still wanted to collect eggs, so she did that, then we both left the run. She's been back in to collect eggs a few times since with my son, and he keeps an eye on Speckle while she collects eggs. No problems since then, Speckle has kept his distance, but it's only been a few days. When I go in by myself, I haven't had any issues with him, and I go in there a fair bit.

The only reason Speckle comes up to us on purpose is when he wants food and can see we have it, or are opening the scratch bucket. Otherwise, he randomly wanders the coop/run while we do chicken chores and pretty much stays out of our way. If we're dealing with a hen, and the hen starts to panic, he does start to get agitated, but he calms as soon as the hen does.

From Speckle's perspective, I guess my daughter was an intruder, so he was protecting his hens from someone new that he didn't know coming into his space. Now that I've shown she's not an intruder and he's not allowed to attack, I'm hoping that will be the end of it. If it's not, well, I guess it's time to reconsider freezer camp.

How would you guys interpret Speckle's behavior? Do you think I'm reading these situations correctly? Obviously if he starts to attack again, then it's a pattern and steps must be taken. But if he continues to keep his distance and leaves my kids alone, then I guess he's learned they're off limits, or at least they're not someone he's allowed to dominate, and I can continue to keep him. Thoughts?

Anytime from 4 to 12 months is when a cockerel might suddenly start becoming aggressive, so that he's been good for the first 8 or 9 months doesn't necessarily mean that much.
They tend to test out their fighting skills on smaller people first, so you might not want to let your kids go out there by themselves, a cockerel can be up in your face in a second.
Often times they will watch and wait for a good opportunity to flog you, so even if it seems as if he has "learned his lesson" he may just be hanging back and plotting and planning.
Really it's not their fault, it's not so much that they are bad, as just acting as nature dictates for him to protect his girls. Cockerels can be rather overenthusiastic in their duties and he may settle down after awhile or he may not, only time will tell.
IMO, since there are children involved, I would either rehome him or put him in the freezer.

He's given you two or three warnings as loud as he can... I would not risk my daughter or sons' face or eyes for a rooster.

This is classic - taking on smaller people, rather tentative at first, more boldly with each attack. I am pretty confident, he will be attacking you soon enough. Seldom do roosters learn their lessons. It really is not a training or lack of training thing. It is more of an instinct influenced by hormones and genetics. I just do not buy into the 'you can train a rooster nice.' I think it is just the luck of the draw.

But it does not change the fact that attacks can cause physical injury to your kids and yourself. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

Mrs K

I'm very pro rooster, and ordinarily I'd say keep working with him. But, there are children involved, so I'd either rehome him with full disclosure, to someone who does not have children, or I'd cull him.
I don't believe roosters get less aggressive with age. I think they test boundaries more the older they get. He will most like get more "testy" in the spring.

I'm very pro rooster, and ordinarily I'd say keep working with him. But, there are children involved, so I'd either rehome him with full disclosure, to someone who does not have children, or I'd cull him.
I don't believe roosters get less aggressive with age. I think they test boundaries more the older they get. He will most like get more "testy" in the spring.
I'm definitely keeping a much closer eye on him now. And my daughter is banned from the coop. My son has appropriate safety equipment and is monitored when out there. He's been around from day one taking care of them, while my daughter has not.

Speckle has totally cut out all aggressive behavior. But as you say, spring is coming.

I'll have a pet sitter sometime in March. I'm seriously considering crating Speckle in an XL dog crate for the duration of the pet sitting. She can just monitor the water and fill the food from outside the crate.

Your lives would all be so much easier without this rooster. Personally I’d want my children to totally enjoy chickens, and this would take precedence over how the rooster feels. Wearing safety equipment and watching your back does not, imho, fit into what children should have to deal with in order to raise chickens.
Now with a pet sitter coming, consider there are also liability issues.
Believe me, there are very nice polite roosters out there and not enuf homes for them all. Your kids deserve a good one!

I haven’t heard mention how big his spurs are ? Keep an eye on those. Roosters have spurs for a reason: to kill and maim and attack. They can do serious harm to grown adults much less a child. I’m sorry you are experiencing this. But if you must have a roo and I get it, they are so cool, you may need to start over and hope for a more docile one.

Back
Top Bottom