Rooster attack, but maybe he had a good reason? Next steps? How would you interpret his behavior?

I see this thread is from January. It seems as if the situation might be resolved, but I’m not sure that interpreting rooster behavior was fully explored. I feel compelled to respond simply because I like to explore animal behavior of many types. And I have explored this particular behavior pattern at my place quite a bit.

I have raised Belgian D’Anvers bantams since 1998 (1995 if you count the first ones I got from a hatchery). Belgian D’Anvers are likely one of the most universally human-aggressive breeds I have dealt with ( for males, specifically, but also some females )- and many D’Anvers breeders claim that this temperament is so endemic to the breed it cannot be selected away from (I do not agree with this, but it is significantly more difficult to breed away from when every time you out cross, bad temperament in males is brought back). This gives me tons and tons of experience with aggressive males….

When selecting for lower aggression, one of the first things I attempt to do is rank my males on aggression level. In order to do that, I try to understand not only the magnitude of their agression but the most likely environmental drivers behind it. If you want to make meaningful selection you have to know why a rooster is attacking, and which environmental parameters are likely to exacerbate this behavior versus mitigate it. Whatever environmental circumstances tend to exacerbate aggression, I try to expose all roosters to maximize human aggression. This may seem counter intuitive, but if you want to select against aggression, you have to give roosters every chance to show their genetic aggressiveness to you so you can assess everyone on a level playing field. The great thing about my rooster camp, is that I have learned a lot of things that can potentially also mitigate their behavior. Please understand that I have experienced most of these things with D’Anvers only, so I’m not sure how completely they apply to other chicken breeds. But chicken aggression and the pecking order is quite ingrained, so I imagine there are several correlations.

In a nutshell, I have learned the following:
Roosters that are imprinted on people and raised as pets are more likely to be human aggressive as adults. Roosters kept in individual pens or as solo roosters are more likely to be aggressive. Roosters kept in pens that are eye-level are more likely to attack. Roosters kept in smaller eye-level pens are more likely to aggressive than rooster kept in larger eye-level pens. Rooster are more likely to attack if you feed hens in front of them. Roosters are more likely to attack when their testicles are enlarging in the spring time ( if this made you raise an eyebrow, consider that I have butchered many males at various time of the year and I have noticed the male reproductive organs undergo a period of inactivity in winter, just like the hens- this may be why some males are sterile during the winter until spring kick starts their testosterone again). Roosters are more likely to attack after they reach a year of age or older. Roosters are more likely to attack if you are wearing unfamiliar attire or if you are a new person. Roosters are more likely to attack if you turn your back to them. Roosters are more likely to attack if there is only one person. Roosters are more likely to attack you if you look small. Roosters are more likely to attack if you move quickly/unpredictably/erratically. Roosters are more likely to attack if your hands are full or you are otherwise preoccupied. Roosters are more likely to attack if you are talking; the louder your voice the more they seem to want to spur your face ( is my singing really that bad?🤣). This seems especially true if you are looking at them while you talk/sing and your face is close - it is almost as if they view it as a direct challenge. It doesn’t matter if you are saying nice things about their appearance.

How many of those things listed above do kids do?

Fear is a major environmental inhibitor of genetic human aggression, so if you make a rooster afraid, he will be less likely to attack until the fear wears off. HOWEVER, it has been my experience that many roosters will need to be reminded periodically, and that using physical aggression to instill this fear can do one of two things: 1. In a small percentage, the interaction will trigger PTSD in the rooster and they will get smaller and avoid you or be unpleasantly fearful of you - this may last their entire life time or 2. Will cause the rooster to view you as an alpha chicken and encourage them to try again later. Using an object other than your hands can be preferable to force them to keep their distance, but Roosters will learn to look for it and attack you when it’s not there.

Now, the type of aggression that is most problematic are from males who view you as another rooster. These males seemingly will exhaust every opportunity to assert their dominance over you. Except if you scare them with a counter attack. Then they will go PTSD or will avoid you only temporarily and then be very likely come after you again at a later date. When they do it will be craftier, they will often hit harder, and they will often be harder to discourage the next time. Attacking back is one of the surest ways to either scare a rooster for good or to train them to be mean. What can start off as innocent defensiveness can easily turn into this pecking order competition by you attacking back. For all my effort going towards eliciting aggression, this is the one thing I try not do in my flock. In all fairness, it is difficult not to at least block yourself from an incoming attack to your face, so even I screw up here, but for the most part, I try not to physically respond. When a rooster attacks me, I have trained myself to freeze in place and wait it out whenever I have the time to do so. If I don’t have time I catch the rooster and hold him gently while I finish chores in that pen. I do so, until the rooster loses interest that means no talking no looking at the rooster, no moving until he walks away. You’re playing chicken. For real. He will eventually turn and walk away- then you resume whatever you were doing. But hopefully without him trying to attack again.

It sounds to me like your rooster was not attacking in a pecking order level way. This is great news because it sounds like his attacks were done because he was alarmed by something your children were doing. it could’ve just been a fact that they were unfamiliar, but take another look at my list of things that make roosters more likely to attack. If your children were doing anything on that list, or likely to do things on that list in the future, you may want to keep them out of the chicken pen or get him out of the pen before they go in.

My experience seems to indicate that putting a rooster in a dog kennel actually makes it more likely that they will turn aggressive. So this might not be a great solution if it means you have to get in your roosters space every time you care for him. But it would be possible to make a special rooster pen outside with your hens. Spread some treats in there and trap him before the kids go in. You could use a rope attached to a drop door so you could lure him in or lure him outside and close it before going in.

Finally, invest in a good squirt gun. Super soaker might work, but I just use a regular old squirt bottle from Walmart set to stream. Roosters behavior is easily disrupted by a good stream of water straight to the face (yes, it has to be the face because that is the only place they can tell it is water- feathers protect everywhere else). No, it won’t hurt them. The best part? They don’t seem to be able to interpret it as aggression or even necessarily as coming from you so it decreases aggression WITHOUT teaching them to be meaner to you in the future.

Edited to add: I have had a few roosters that are not phased by this water treatment and I always end up culling them. Sometimes water treatment has to be repeated every spring, or for a few weeks in a row. But generally the aggression does wane if you stick to it and avoid being physically aggressive, eventually, with this treatment. For my birds at least. This could also be because if it doesn’t work, I usually end up eliminating the male from my breeding pens. But if you want to give a male a chance, I would urge you to consider it.

Hopefully this post has been interesting to you, even if it is well after the fact.

Last edited:
I see this thread is from January. It seems as if the situation might be resolved, but I’m not sure that interpreting rooster behavior was fully explored. I feel compelled to respond simply because I like to explore animal behavior of many types. And I have explored this particular behavior pattern at my place quite a bit.

I have raised Belgian D’Anvers bantams since 1998 (1995 if you count the first ones I got from a hatchery). Belgian D’Anvers are likely one of the most universally human-aggressive breeds I have dealt with ( for males, specifically, but also some females )- and many D’Anvers breeders claim that this temperament is so endemic to the breed it cannot be selected away from (I do not agree with this, but it is significantly more difficult to breed away from when every time you out cross, bad temperament in males is brought back). This gives me tons and tons of experience with aggressive males….

When selecting for lower aggression, one of the first things I attempt to do is rank my males on aggression level. In order to do that, I try to understand not only the magnitude of their agression but the most likely environmental drivers behind it. If you want to make meaningful selection you have to know why a rooster is attacking, and which environmental parameters are likely to exacerbate this behavior versus mitigate it. Whatever environmental circumstances tend to exacerbate aggression, I try to expose all roosters to maximize human aggression. This may seem counter intuitive, but if you want to select against aggression, you have to give roosters every chance to show their genetic aggressiveness to you so you can assess everyone on a level playing field. The great thing about my rooster camp, is that I have learned a lot of things that can potentially also mitigate their behavior. Please understand that I have experienced most of these things with D’Anvers only, so I’m not sure how completely they apply to other chicken breeds. But chicken aggression and the pecking order is quite ingrained, so I imagine there are several correlations.

In a nutshell, I have learned the following:
Roosters that are imprinted on people and raised as pets are more likely to be human aggressive as adults. Roosters kept in individual pens or as solo roosters are more likely to be aggressive. Roosters kept in pens that are eye-level are more likely to attack. Roosters kept in smaller eye-level pens are more likely to aggressive than rooster kept in larger eye-level pens. Rooster are more likely to attack if you feed hens in front of them. Roosters are more likely to attack when their testicles are enlarging in the spring time ( if this made you raise an eyebrow, consider that I have butchered many males at various time of the year and I have noticed the male reproductive organs undergo a period of inactivity in winter, just like the hens- this may be why some males are sterile during the winter until spring kick starts their testosterone again). Roosters are more likely to attack after they reach a year of age or older. Roosters are more likely to attack if you are wearing unfamiliar attire or if you are a new person. Roosters are more likely to attack if you turn your back to them. Roosters are more likely to attack if there is only one person. Roosters are more likely to attack you if you look small. Roosters are more likely to attack if you move quickly/unpredictably/erratically. Roosters are more likely to attack if your hands are full or you are otherwise preoccupied. Roosters are more likely to attack if you are talking; the louder your voice the more they seem to want to spur your face ( is my singing really that bad?🤣). This seems especially true if you are looking at them while you talk/sing and your face is close - it is almost as if they view it as a direct challenge. It doesn’t matter if you are saying nice things about their appearance.

How many of those things listed above do kids do?

Fear is a major environmental inhibitor of genetic human aggression, so if you make a rooster afraid, he will be less likely to attack until the fear wears off. HOWEVER, it has been my experience that many roosters will need to be reminded periodically, and that using physical aggression to instill this fear can do one of two things: 1. In a small percentage, the interaction will trigger PTSD in the rooster and they will get smaller and avoid you or be unpleasantly fearful of you - this may last their entire life time or 2. Will cause the rooster to view you as an alpha chicken and encourage them to try again later. Using an object other than your hands can be preferable to force them to keep their distance, but Roosters will learn to look for it and attack you when it’s not there.

Now, the type of aggression that is most problematic are from males who view you as another rooster. These males seemingly will exhaust every opportunity to assert their dominance over you. Except if you scare them with a counter attack. Then they will go PTSD or will avoid you only temporarily and then be very likely come after you again at a later date. When they do it will be craftier, they will often hit harder, and they will often be harder to discourage the next time. Attacking back is one of the surest ways to either scare a rooster for good or to train them to be mean. What can start off as innocent defensiveness can easily turn into this pecking order competition by you attacking back. For all my effort going towards eliciting aggression, this is the one thing I try not do in my flock. In all fairness, it is difficult not to at least block yourself from an incoming attack to your face, so even I screw up here, but for the most part, I try not to physically respond. When a rooster attacks me, I have trained myself to freeze in place and wait it out whenever I have the time to do so. If I don’t have time I catch the rooster and hold him gently while I finish chores in that pen. I do so, until the rooster loses interest that means no talking no looking at the rooster, no moving until he walks away. You’re playing chicken. For real. He will eventually turn and walk away- then you resume whatever you were doing. But hopefully without him trying to attack again.

It sounds to me like your rooster was not attacking in a pecking order level way. This is great news because it sounds like his attacks were done because he was alarmed by something your children were doing. it could’ve just been a fact that they were unfamiliar, but take another look at my list of things that make roosters more likely to attack. If your children were doing anything on that list, or likely to do things on that list in the future, you may want to keep them out of the chicken pen or get him out of the pen before they go in.

My experience seems to indicate that putting a rooster in a dog kennel actually makes it more likely that they will turn aggressive. So this might not be a great solution if it means you have to get in your roosters space every time you care for him. But it would be possible to make a special rooster pen outside with your hens. Spread some treats in there and trap him before the kids go in. You could use a rope attached to a drop door so you could lure him in or lure him outside and close it before going in.

Finally, invest in a good squirt gun. Super soaker might work, but I just use a regular old squirt bottle from Walmart set to stream. Roosters behavior is easily disrupted by a good stream of water straight to the face (yes, it has to be the face because that is the only place they can tell it is water- feathers protect everywhere else). No, it won’t hurt them. The best part? They don’t seem to be able to interpret it as aggression or even necessarily as coming from you so it decreases aggression WITHOUT teaching them to be meaner to you in the future.

Hopefully this post has been interesting to you, even if it is well after the fact.
Thank you for your insight!

So, I have Speckle, a RIR/RIR-mix/production red rooster. He's 8-9 months old and at least 10 lbs, maybe larger. The rest of my birds are maybe 6 lbs tops.

Speckle has never shown me any sign of aggression. I generally walk through him, and am pretty hands off, unless I need to inspect him for some reason. He walks out of my way, and is not interested in staying close, but if I make a point of picking him up, he'll let me. He's never tried to bite or attack me, or postured at me. I've wrapped him in a towel, administered dewormer, washed, dried, and applied Nu-stock to his feet, checked for lice and mites, etc. His spurs are coming up on 3/4" long and as big around as my pinky. He's not aggressive with the hens, likes to mate a fair bit, and doesn't crow too much.

My son and I share chicken chores, and occasionally my husband. My son is ten, and somewhat small. The nest boxes are on the ground, so one has to get really low and small to check for eggs. This put my son below the level of Speckle's head. About a month or two ago, Speckle tried to peck/attack him, and my son kicked or hit him back. I think Speckle was trying to see if he could be in charge of my son, and my son won that interaction.

For the next week or so my son brought a stick into the enclosed coop/run with him when checking eggs, etc. (He had like a broomstick at first, and then it was a piece of quarter round - not something that would actually hurt the rooster) Only once he used it when Speckle got close, and Speckle ran away as soon as he saw the stick after that. After a week or so, my son didn't bring the stick in anymore, and Speckle still left him alone, got out of his way when my son was walking, etc. No signs of aggression that we could see. So I figured that Speckle learned that my son was not to be messed with. This was a few months ago. I warned my son not to make a pet of him, but he's generally been more interested in petting Speckle and getting close to him than I've been. Since the attack, I've had him make sure to wear jeans and safety glasses when visiting the coop, and be more aware of where Speckle is before he bends over to do chores.

I have a daughter a few years younger, slightly smaller than my son, who feeds the chickens grass through the wall of the run, and is out there quite a bit and has been for their whole lives. I told her she was finally big enough to go in and collect eggs. I was right behind her, but didn't anticipate any problems, after all, she was familiar to the chickens. She walked into the coop/run, and Speckle ran up and started crowing, biting, and spurring her. I raced in, kicked him away at once, used a mad voice, and Speckle ran off. He hovered in the corner crowing in agitation while I kept an eye on him and comforted my daughter. She still wanted to collect eggs, so she did that, then we both left the run. She's been back in to collect eggs a few times since with my son, and he keeps an eye on Speckle while she collects eggs. No problems since then, Speckle has kept his distance, but it's only been a few days. When I go in by myself, I haven't had any issues with him, and I go in there a fair bit.

The only reason Speckle comes up to us on purpose is when he wants food and can see we have it, or are opening the scratch bucket. Otherwise, he randomly wanders the coop/run while we do chicken chores and pretty much stays out of our way. If we're dealing with a hen, and the hen starts to panic, he does start to get agitated, but he calms as soon as the hen does.

From Speckle's perspective, I guess my daughter was an intruder, so he was protecting his hens from someone new that he didn't know coming into his space. Now that I've shown she's not an intruder and he's not allowed to attack, I'm hoping that will be the end of it. If it's not, well, I guess it's time to reconsider freezer camp.

How would you guys interpret Speckle's behavior? Do you think I'm reading these situations correctly? Obviously if he starts to attack again, then it's a pattern and steps must be taken. But if he continues to keep his distance and leaves my kids alone, then I guess he's learned they're off limits, or at least they're not someone he's allowed to dominate, and I can continue to keep him. Thoughts?
I have two speckled sussex roosters. I am always the outlier when it comes to rooster attacks, but, I still think it is important for you to have all of the information. I think we, as chicken keepers do not do a good job understanding roosters. We love it when they protect our hens, but we don't think about their protection job as it relates to their innate behavior. You can't say to a rooster "hey, I want you to be diligent and make sure none of the hens get hurt and give up your life to save one of the hens", and then say "rooster, please change your protective nature when we are around and be nice and submissive". It doesn't work like that. When your son fought back (not that he should not have - I am just making a point), he told the rooster he was willing to fight with him. That is what the rooster is constantly doing and wanting...someone is dominant and someone is submissive. I tamed both of my rooster by being their friends. Basically, I said to them "I will not fight you or challenge you - I am just not playing the game". So, I suited up and let the roosters attack me. I had no fear (because it didn't hurt suited up), and I just waited until they were tired out. The next day, I suited up, but didn't need it - they just followed me around seeing if I would start fighting with them. At the same time as I was showing them I was not going to play the dominant/submissive game with them, I started to show the utmost respect for them. Telling them how proud I was that they were protecting their flock, giving them treats I didn't give the girls. Feeding them first even though they won't eat first. Picking them up and parading them talking nicely in front of the girls and just plain talking with them. Now, and it has been over 7-months since I did this...I still have great roosters that are my friends. And I will tell you, there is nothing else like a rooster as a friend.

Thank you to all who have shared your knowledge, insight, experience, and opinions on this thread. I've appreciate your different perspectives as I've worked through managing my rooster.

Since I started this post, I figured I'd give you guys an update.

Things went okay with the pet sitter, in that she did not get attacked or hurt and was able to care for the chickens while we were gone. Unfortunately, after that, Speckle seemed more anxious and on edge about people entering his space. We worked with him a bit, and I thought he had calmed down, but then he attacked my son. My son is okay, he needed a bandaid and some TLC, he was more upset than hurt about it. So that afternoon/evening I processed Speckle. I'm still really upset about it because I loved that rooster, but I love my son more, and he absolutely could not be allowed to attack my son. We decided to put him in the freezer instead of selling him to the cockfighting ring (not on purpose, it's just the only folks around here that want roosters seem to be either eating them or doing that, unless they're a special breed, and Speckle is a Production Red, so not "special" for our area).

RIP Speckle. 4/8/2023. You were a good bird, until you were not. You were always good to your hens, and did tidbitting and alerting on the predators outside the coop/run well. You helped your hens get to the roost at night and kept an eye on things. I will miss how you were when you were nice, and I'm sorry we couldn't figure out how to cohabit with no one getting hurt. I wish I'd had acres of land for you to range on.

On a positive note, my daughter is thrilled to be going into the coop/run with the big eggers to collect eggs now. I taught her how to do chicken coop/run chores, so she can participate. My son and husband are happy they don't have to worry about the rooster any more. The hens seem happy to have the extra space (I also moved one hen to another coop for reasons, so they have two less chickens in there). I stuck a few of the still-fertile eggs under my determined broody, so I might get a few females out of them if she manages to hatch them.

I have a few roosters coming with my chick order in a few weeks. Hopefully one or more of them will be calmer than Speckle was, and we'll have a better experience next time. I learned a lot from Speckle, and hopefully that will help us work with roosters better in the future.

I am not familiar with the articles section. If it would be helpful there, I could definitely do that. Thanks!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

An article on understanding rooster aggression would probably be best in this subsection: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/learning-center.11/

You can't say to a rooster "hey, I want you to be diligent and make sure none of the hens get hurt and give up your life to save one of the hens", and then say "rooster, please change your protective nature when we are around and be nice and submissive"

I think it's quite reasonable to expect a rooster to understand the difference between The Giant Who Brings Food and dangerous predators.

I don't want my roosters to be submissive to me. I want them to ignore me -- as if I were a horse or a cow sharing their pasture. :)

I have raised Belgian D’Anvers bantams since 1998 (1995 if you count the first ones I got from a hatchery). Belgian D’Anvers are likely one of the most universally human-aggressive breeds I have dealt with ( for males, specifically, but also some females )- and many D’Anvers breeders claim that this temperament is so endemic to the breed it cannot be selected away from (I do not agree with this, but it is significantly more difficult to breed away from when every time you out cross, bad temperame
Excellent commentary - there is another thread going about roosters, I think this this would be a great addition to that thread too.

Roosters that are imprinted on people and raised as pets are more likely to be human aggressive as adults
This ⬆️. And cockerels hatched/raised by hens imprint on hens and view humans completely differently. Imprinting can’t be underestimated, I think it’s the most important factor contributing to rooster behavior.

So, I have Speckle, a RIR/RIR-mix/production red rooster. He's 8-9 months old and at least 10 lbs, maybe larger. The rest of my birds are maybe 6 lbs tops.

Speckle has never shown me any sign of aggression. I generally walk through him, and am pretty hands off, unless I need to inspect him for some reason. He walks out of my way, and is not interested in staying close, but if I make a point of picking him up, he'll let me. He's never tried to bite or attack me, or postured at me. I've wrapped him in a towel, administered dewormer, washed, dried, and applied Nu-stock to his feet, checked for lice and mites, etc. His spurs are coming up on 3/4" long and as big around as my pinky. He's not aggressive with the hens, likes to mate a fair bit, and doesn't crow too much.

My son and I share chicken chores, and occasionally my husband. My son is ten, and somewhat small. The nest boxes are on the ground, so one has to get really low and small to check for eggs. This put my son below the level of Speckle's head. About a month or two ago, Speckle tried to peck/attack him, and my son kicked or hit him back. I think Speckle was trying to see if he could be in charge of my son, and my son won that interaction.

For the next week or so my son brought a stick into the enclosed coop/run with him when checking eggs, etc. (He had like a broomstick at first, and then it was a piece of quarter round - not something that would actually hurt the rooster) Only once he used it when Speckle got close, and Speckle ran away as soon as he saw the stick after that. After a week or so, my son didn't bring the stick in anymore, and Speckle still left him alone, got out of his way when my son was walking, etc. No signs of aggression that we could see. So I figured that Speckle learned that my son was not to be messed with. This was a few months ago. I warned my son not to make a pet of him, but he's generally been more interested in petting Speckle and getting close to him than I've been. Since the attack, I've had him make sure to wear jeans and safety glasses when visiting the coop, and be more aware of where Speckle is before he bends over to do chores.

I have a daughter a few years younger, slightly smaller than my son, who feeds the chickens grass through the wall of the run, and is out there quite a bit and has been for their whole lives. I told her she was finally big enough to go in and collect eggs. I was right behind her, but didn't anticipate any problems, after all, she was familiar to the chickens. She walked into the coop/run, and Speckle ran up and started crowing, biting, and spurring her. I raced in, kicked him away at once, used a mad voice, and Speckle ran off. He hovered in the corner crowing in agitation while I kept an eye on him and comforted my daughter. She still wanted to collect eggs, so she did that, then we both left the run. She's been back in to collect eggs a few times since with my son, and he keeps an eye on Speckle while she collects eggs. No problems since then, Speckle has kept his distance, but it's only been a few days. When I go in by myself, I haven't had any issues with him, and I go in there a fair bit.

The only reason Speckle comes up to us on purpose is when he wants food and can see we have it, or are opening the scratch bucket. Otherwise, he randomly wanders the coop/run while we do chicken chores and pretty much stays out of our way. If we're dealing with a hen, and the hen starts to panic, he does start to get agitated, but he calms as soon as the hen does.

From Speckle's perspective, I guess my daughter was an intruder, so he was protecting his hens from someone new that he didn't know coming into his space. Now that I've shown she's not an intruder and he's not allowed to attack, I'm hoping that will be the end of it. If it's not, well, I guess it's time to reconsider freezer camp.

How would you guys interpret Speckle's behavior? Do you think I'm reading these situations correctly? Obviously if he starts to attack again, then it's a pattern and steps must be taken. But if he continues to keep his distance and leaves my kids alone, then I guess he's learned they're off limits, or at least they're not someone he's allowed to dominate, and I can continue to keep him. Thoughts?
I realise you want your family to enjoy particpating in chicken keeping but in all seriousness when one has a cockerel, which is what you have, it isn't wise to let your children near him.
Occasionally one gets a child that has a natural awareness that the feathery male creature isn't tame and they adjust their behaviour accordingly.
It seems often that children in western society in particular are brought up to view all other creatures as cute and pettable. I've seen parents holding babies in front of them making ridiculous coo cooing sounds while pushing their child at broody hens with chicks, at free range adult roosters and cockerels and even helping a child to put it's hand through cage bars in zoos.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your children learn that some creatures natural behaviour is to attack if they or their mates and offspring are considered under threat. Roosters belong in that class of needing some respect and caution. Very few are ever tame and this needs to be born in mind when dealing with them.

Back
Top Bottom