Rooster attack

I don't understand why people try to mix roosters and young children? The noise and energy of children is sure to upset a rooster. I think roosters should only be allowed in child-free homes. You can't blame the rooster for being alert and vigilant and protecting his flock. When children come around here my rooster always gets nervous and agitated. I'm glad I don't have any children of my own to trouble him. He is my Boy.

I had the same experience as you have had. My roo thought I was one of his "girls"! I had to really watch what I wore, what I did, and never turn my back! I have since heard that you really can't make a pet of a male chicken or sheep, they will forever 'own' you if you try. I gave him to a fellow with a hen just like him and now he's in with other roos and has established his pecking order. I was afraid for my four yr. old grandson and didn't want his dad to 'soup' him! This was a bantam roo, think what a Jersey Giant could do!

You can have any kind of animal and children at the same time! This has gone on since the beginning of animals and people living together. What is different? Children were once taught to respect the animal and give it space...I've raised 4 children with all kinds of animals. Have I ever had a serious injury happen? Never. The only one that's ever been hurt, except for a peck here and there? My 20+ daughter who forgot the rules and thought she knew more...she quickly remembered once the dog and the ferret bit. Did I destroy either? Nope, it was her fault! She forgot the rules and paid the price. They never bit anyone else....
I don't understand why people try to mix roosters and young children? The noise and energy of children is sure to upset a rooster. I think roosters should only be allowed in child-free homes. You can't blame the rooster for being alert and vigilant and protecting his flock. When children come around here my rooster always gets nervous and agitated. I'm glad I don't have any children of my own to trouble him. He is my Boy.

I don't think a laughing child is disrespecting a rooster, and the child got hurt by the rooster anyway. It is natural for a child to laugh, and they often do so obnoxiously. I don't understand how a child laughing could be construed as disrespect shown toward a rooster? I'm glad your children were never seriously hurt, but I've read of others who have been. And then the rooster is slaughtered. Thank you for never getting rid of your animals just because your children got hurt. That is unusual and commendable!

My young children never got hurt...my grown daughter did and she did something that was stupid and got hurt...not the animals fault. You make a blanket statement that people with children shouldn't be allowed to have a certain animal. I disagree and you find fault???? I wasn't saying a thing about the child laughing. Children laugh...and it's a wonderful sound. I love 2 year olds...how many people can say that??? It's a wonderful age of exploration and amazement in everything and anything. I just make sure that my kids are not put in a position to be hurt. If you chose to keep certain animals with children then you should make sure that both of them are safe from the other.

I've seen too many good animals destroyed because their people didn't make sure that everyone/thing was safe. It is a sad, sad thing.

Do I want to see children hurt? Absolutely not. It is our responsibility to see it not happen!

I have a big beautiful BO roo in with my hens and so far he has been very gentle. He has never ran toward me or the neighbors kids when they were around him even if they were running or being noisy. My niece once has RIR chickens and they would chase joggers down the street if they saw them and try to attack!
I really think it has a lot to do with the breed and the age.

Leadwolf,

So how was the mother supposed to realize that a rooster would hurt her young child when the child laughed? I wouldn't think that would be a dangerous situation, either? You can't control animals all the time, so children are going to get hurt by default. You are lucky that yours yours weren't seriously hurt, either. It's a good thing that dog and that ferret who bit your child did not have rabies. Many parents are irresponsible and don't protect their children from the dangers animals pose. I don't think the children nor the animals should have to suffer because of the negligence of their parents. I don't know many parents who watch their children 24/24. Accidents happen.

Onebigglo, at what age do you think roosters act the worst? I have heard it's once they become sexually mature, up until a year old or so, but others claim roosters get meaner with age.

How do you think a rooster whose father was a white leghorn and whose mother was a Buff Orpington would score on the behavior scale, in general?

I'm sorry if I jumped in harder than maybe I had a right to. My daughter was in no danger. We raise akitas and they are wonderful family pets. They have never bitten any of us. That being said, my daughter moved away. She came back for a visit about a year later. She still felt part of the pack...she wasn't...she pushed my male akita away from me and he took her arm in his mouth...a warning. He didn't break skin. She knew better. When company is over, my dogs are in kennels...even the ones that are licensed therapy animals. They are very protective of their families and I have no desire to put them in harms way. The ferret? Was at a petstore...clearly marked with "do not touch, I bite"...it was on a top shelf, away from small children. She decided she would pet it anyway and got bitten. She was so embarassed by what she did. Again, it was clearly her fault.

I am not trying to put blame on the OP. She is clearly upset over the situation. Yes, we all make mistakes and I'm glad her little one only got scratched...could have been much worse! I guess, living with akitas and other dogs/animals/chickens for my entire life, has put me in a postition to protect first. I don't want anyone hurt so I don't allow it to happen. Not with my younger ones, my daughter? She was grown and living on her own, half the country away. I didn't think I needed to remind her.

I guess, my point is, if you don't want to take the responsibiltiy, then you are right, don't have the animal.. If you want the animal, take the responsibilty and the necessary precautions to keep everyone safe. You are right, you can't watch children 24/7 but you can keep them away from the animals even if it means fencing someone/thing. Again, it just depends on how far you want to go to keep everyone safe.

Leadwolf,

So how was the mother supposed to realize that a rooster would hurt her young child when the child laughed? I wouldn't think that would be a dangerous situation, either? You can't control animals all the time, so children are going to get hurt by default. You are lucky that yours yours weren't seriously hurt, either. It's a good thing that dog and that ferret who bit your child did not have rabies. Many parents are irresponsible and don't protect their children from the dangers animals pose. I don't think the children nor the animals should have to suffer because of the negligence of their parents. I don't know many parents who watch their children 24/24. Accidents happen.

Onebigglo, at what age do you think roosters act the worst? I have heard it's once they become sexually mature, up until a year old or so, but others claim roosters get meaner with age.

How do you think a rooster whose father was a white leghorn and whose mother was a Buff Orpington would score on the behavior scale, in general?

The fact of the matter is that I shouldn't have allowed the roo so close to my son. We were all just hanging out on the driveway with the kids and cats when the flock went by. My son was out of arms reach and I just couldn't get there in time... Slow motion, like a car crash. That being said, as fun as my chickens are, they are not my pets. They are not more important than the safety of my children. You better believe that I have no tolerance for a mean rooster, just like I have no tolerance for a mean cat... Some animals fit and some do not. Period. I was a vet tech for many years and was on that side of the fence of animals behave out of instincts, and still do, but my priorities have changed. Life is too short for a rooster who will go after everyone. If we get another rooster, hopefully I will be able to find a calmer, older, and more gentle rooster. I will either find this one a home or cull him, which ever I can do. I do not wish to cull him, but if I can not find an alternative, so be it. I have grown into motherhood the best I could and still make mistakes. I have had several miscarriages and maybe that is where I have my no tolerance policy. My kids are too precious. Things happen. You can not be in constant physical contact with your kids just in case something happens. I was watching him and the rooster was just faster than I.

Thank you all for your opinions on such a heated topic. I know we all have our opinions and tolerances. I do appreciate everyone's view and hope that you all understand that I am only trying to do what is best for my family.

I think mandatory educational classes would be a great idea for folks wanting to have a rooster. So they know what they may be getting themselves into. Then they can decide whether a rooster is right for their situation, and whether they want to gamble on getting an appropriate rooster, who, if he doesn't work out for them, may end up being killed. Such a class may spare people a lot of stress, blame, grief and sorrow, and help their children not end up being hurt, just like the roosters don't end up being hurt. And children need to be educated about how their behavior may affect a rooster, too. If those who sell roosters would offer such mandatory classes, perhaps there wouldn't be so many beautiful animals end up in stew pots? Most people think it will never happen to them and often don't have a clue about what owning a rooster may entail.

More academic research needs to be conducted into rooster breeds and aggressiveness and rooster behavior in general, so people can make more informed choices if they decide to take on the risks of rooster ownership.

By the way, I love children, and I teach preschool. I love children and animals equally, and I want the best lives possible for both. Miscarriages are horrible. I know all about them. But I see it as a True Blessing that there are no children around here to irritate my rooster. :>)

Back
Top Bottom