Rooster beaten hens

Ann Wellhouse

Chirping
Feb 27, 2021
Hi
I acquired some half grown hens in late spring that had been beaten by a rooster - not bloody but lots of feathers broken and missing.

They have a happy life in my flock (no roosters) and my hens do not beat up on each other.

After these several months they still look awful. Is there anything I can do for them or must I just wait for their molt in the fall?

Thanks.

Yes you will need to wait for them to molt and regrow their broken feathers before they will be beautiful again. Feathers that were completely pulled out may regrow before then. Glad to know you have provided the girls a happy, stress-free life.
Yes, they are happy chickies. Occasionally one might do a little peck but I haven't seen damage before acquiring these newbies.

To tell the truth, I'm more embarrassed than worried. The girls seem happy but I am mortified at the idea someone would think I let this happen to them.

Do you know their age? Chicken first have a big molt around 18 months old, and then every year thereafter. If they were around too many young roosters that is usually when the feather damage from over mating is done. They should look just fine soon because this is molting season for chickens born in spring. They are lucky to have you.

To tell the truth, I'm more embarrassed than worried. The girls seem happy but I am mortified at the idea someone would think I let this happen to them.
You don't owe anybody an explanation, and people who know you well shouldn't require one, although of course you can explain. To anyone who would judge without knowing their history...pfffft who needs them! You care about the pullets' well being and have provided them a good home; that's what matters.

Do you know their age? Chicken first have a big molt around 18 months old, and then every year thereafter. If they were around too many young roosters that is usually when the feather damage from over mating is done. They should look just fine soon because this is molting season for chickens born in spring. They are lucky to have you.
They were probably born around January. I acquired them in late May and they were already laying but not full grown. They are also undersized compared to my other Australorps but that might be because of the lost feathers. They are nice chickens but meek.

You don't owe anybody an explanation, and people who know you well shouldn't require one, although of course you can explain. To anyone who would judge without knowing their history...pfffft who needs them! You care about the pullets' well being and have provided them a good home; that's what matters.
I'm going to print your reply and read it now and again when I need a confidence boost.

Most people’s chickens look pretty ratty when they are molting. I have that same thought that it was embarrassing for someone to see my chickens in the late summer. Feathers everywhere, bald spots, no tails, LOL. So we all have that problem I guess. There is a contest here on BYC of the worst molting pictures! You could just make a pretty sign that says something like “We are rescue chickens. Just wait till we grow our pretty new feathers.”

Back
Top Bottom