Rooster becoming aggressive

kacappi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
My rir rooster who is just under one is starting to become aggressive towards me when i enter the coop to feed them and bring them treats. I have 8 hens with him and they all get along fine. But he has jumped up and kicked me 3 times now...whats goin on???

My rir rooster who is just under one is starting to become aggressive towards me when i enter the coop to feed them and bring them treats. I have 8 hens with him and they all get along fine. But he has jumped up and kicked me 3 times now...whats goin on???

Now i dont know a lot about roosters but try this:
When ever he starts puffing up, you do the same and look him in the eyes. And he might back off.
Another thing might be squirting him with a water gun or squirt bottle when he charges.
I dont know a hole lot but i hope this helps

If he were mine, he'd be in the stewpot. Especially if there are young kids on the place. You don't need to deal with an aggressive rooster.

Of course, you are the only one who can decide how much you're ready to put up with.

Last edited:
But youre not op
True. The thing about training a rooster not to attack you is, YOU are the one he has been trained not to attack. That doesn't mean he'll leave every human alone. I wouldn't take the chance, but again - it's the OP's decision as to what they want to deal with. I personally enjoy my chickens, and if I have one that is taking away my joy by attacking me, that one goes away to live in the freezer or a jar in the pantry. I don't wish to spend my time doing chicken chores, looking over my shoulder waiting to be attacked.

I appreciate the ideas...we have talked about cooking him but hes such a beautiful rooster and i like that hes protective of the flock but no i wont put up with this i was hoping there was something i could do to stop it. Ive always been able to go in and sit down to feed them all treats and walk around and give them all some attention...just confused as to why he has started this. And no there are no kids around.

Back
Top Bottom