Rooster Biting Me

NikithaKillari

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
I have a rooster and a hen for about five months now. About a month back, my rooster fell off from a two storey building and broke his leg. He’s all better now, back to normal. But from the past one week, he’s trying to attack my family and me. Everytime he sees us, he comes rushing and tries to peck our leg. He bit me so hard the other day that I bled. Is this normal? Should I take him to a vet? Other than the biting, he’s absolutely normal. He’s eating well, drinking water and sleeping properly. What might be the problem?

:welcome
I had a rooster that attacked a little girl because she was trying to touch the hens. We got rid of him. I agree with aart, male chickens do that. You can try and discourage him, but i don't know if that will stop him. His injury shouldn't have a influence over him either.

Is he older, or a cockerel under one year of age? He may be maturing, and have decided that he can push you around, especially now that he's feeling better.
@aart said it; male chickens do that.
There are several good articles here about roosters: @Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach are worth looking up. Sometimes it's possible to change this behavior, but more often, it gets worse rather than better. If small children are involved, don't wait for serious injuries to occur!
Mary

I have a rooster and a hen for about five months now. About a month back, my rooster fell off from a two storey building and broke his leg. He’s all better now, back to normal. But from the past one week, he’s trying to attack my family and me. Everytime he sees us, he comes rushing and tries to peck our leg. He bit me so hard the other day that I bled. Is this normal? Should I take him to a vet? Other than the biting, he’s absolutely normal. He’s eating well, drinking water and sleeping properly. What might be the problem?
Sometimes when they are growing up and in that age range, they are like immature teenagers who think they are boss, with all the hormones and that stuff. It will get better when he gets older.

Have things improved?

Back
Top Bottom